Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Former editor of the News of the World Andy Coulson leaves the Old Bailey courthouse in London June 24, 2014. A jury at London's Old Bailey court cleared Rebekah Brooks unanimously but found Andy Coulson guilty of conspiring to intercept messages to break news about royalty, celebrities and victims of crime. (NEIL HALL/REUTERS)
Former editor of the News of the World Andy Coulson leaves the Old Bailey courthouse in London June 24, 2014. A jury at London's Old Bailey court cleared Rebekah Brooks unanimously but found Andy Coulson guilty of conspiring to intercept messages to break news about royalty, celebrities and victims of crime. (NEIL HALL/REUTERS)

Ex-News of the World editor sentenced to 18 months in jail for phone hacking Add to ...

Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson, a onetime aide to British Prime Minister David Cameron, has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for participating in a conspiracy to hack the phones of celebrities, politicians and crime victims.

Three other former journalists and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire all received shorter sentences on Friday.

More Related to this Story

Coulson was convicted last week after an eight-month trial stemming from revelations of illegal eavesdropping at the now-defunct Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid.

Another former editor, Rebekah Brooks, and four others were acquitted.

Coulson faces a retrial on two charges of bribing police officers for royal phone directories.

The defendants have said they did not know phone hacking was illegal, though the judge said they knew it was “morally wrong.”

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular