Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

A woman views floral tributes to Drummer Lee Rigby, of the British Army's 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, at the scene of his killing in Woolwich, southeast London May 24, 2013. (PAUL HACKETT/Reuters)
A woman views floral tributes to Drummer Lee Rigby, of the British Army's 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, at the scene of his killing in Woolwich, southeast London May 24, 2013. (PAUL HACKETT/Reuters)

Fifth person arrested in connection with Woolwich killing Add to ...

Friday’s developments after a soldier’s grisly murder this week by two radicals in their 20s became the first terror-related incident on mainland Britain since bombings in July, 2005.

Attacker had himself been stabbed

One of the men arrested had previously witnessed a murder and was himself stabbed in a frenzied knife attack five years ago, the Guardian reported. Michael Adebowale, who was pictured holding a bloody blade minutes after the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby, had been caught up in an earlier fatal incident in January, 2008, when he was 16. One person was murdered in the bloody episode, having been “literally cut to pieces” by an assailant wielding a 12-inch knife, according to the judge at the trial.

More Related to this Story

Adebowale’s mother detected trouble early

Juliet Obasuyi, a 43-year-old probation officer, went to a neighbour for help about nine months ago after her son dropped out of university, The Daily Telegraph reports. She told him: “Michael is not listening any more. His older sister is a good Christian with a degree but Michael is rebelling as he has no father figure, dropping out of university and handing out leaflets in Woolwich town centre. He is from a strong Christian family but he is turning to Islam and turning against the family.”

Fifth arrest

A fifth person was arrested in the investigation into the soldier’s killing as the inquiry broadened and counterterrorism forces led searches of six houses across the country. A 31-year-old woman was arrested in south London on Thursday night but was released without charge on Friday morning, the Metropolitan Police said. Of the two other arrests made on Thursday, one – a 29-year-old woman – was also released without charge, and another – a 29-year-old man arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder – remained in custody.

London suspects will be treated differently from Boston

In Boston and London, injured suspects in terror attacks were taken to hospitals to recover under armed guard. Their bedside treatment by authorities won’t be the same. While Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was questioned by federal investigators in his hospital room during a 48-hour period after his capture last month, police in the U.K. may be more cautious. Any information they glean risks being barred from a trial due to U.K. rules limiting such bedside interrogations.

Staff, with reports from wires

 

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular