Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Congolese warlord Germain Katanga awaits his verdict in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands, Friday May 23, 2014. The ICC has sentenced the Congolese warlord to 12 years in prison, after convicting him in March of aiding and abetting crimes including murder and pillage in a notorious 2003 attack on a village in which some 200 people were shot or hacked to death. Germain Katanga, nicknamed Simba, showed no emotion as Presiding Judge Bruno Cotte read out the sentence. (AP)
Congolese warlord Germain Katanga awaits his verdict in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, Netherlands, Friday May 23, 2014. The ICC has sentenced the Congolese warlord to 12 years in prison, after convicting him in March of aiding and abetting crimes including murder and pillage in a notorious 2003 attack on a village in which some 200 people were shot or hacked to death. Germain Katanga, nicknamed Simba, showed no emotion as Presiding Judge Bruno Cotte read out the sentence. (AP)

Hague court sentences Congolese war criminal to 12 years Add to ...

Congolese warlord Germain Katanga was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Friday for his part in an attack on a village in northeast Congo more than a decade ago in which the victims were “carved” limb from limb.

Judges at the International Criminal Court said Katanga, who was 24 at the time of the attack, was crucial in arming the ethnic Lendu and Ngiti fighters who carried out the attack on Bogoro village, when some 200 ethnic Hema civilians were killed.

“The attackers literally carved their victims up limb from limb,” presiding judge Bruno Cotte said. “The attackers slashed them with machetes and knives as they tried to make their escape.”

Katanga becomes only the second person to be sentenced by the court, which was set up 12 years ago to bring to justice those guilty of the most serious international crimes, but which has been criticized for slow justice and accused of singling out Africans for prosecution.

The raid in February, 2003, was part of a broader conflict in the resource-rich Ituri region of northeast Congo in the early 2000s. Several participants in that conflict have come before the ICC, including warlord Thomas Lubanga, who was sentenced to 14 years for the crime of using child soldiers.

Judges ruled that the seven years Katanga had already spent in the ICC’s detention center before and during his trial should count towards his sentence. He could be eligible for early release next year, when he will have served two-thirds of his sentence. He can appeal against his conviction.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories