Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Israeli police scuffle with a Jewish settler as they remove him from a roof on which he barricaded himself in the illegal outpost of Migron, near the West Bank city of Ramallah, after eviction orders were handed to the residents September 2, 2012. (NIR ELIAS/REUTERS)
Israeli police scuffle with a Jewish settler as they remove him from a roof on which he barricaded himself in the illegal outpost of Migron, near the West Bank city of Ramallah, after eviction orders were handed to the residents September 2, 2012. (NIR ELIAS/REUTERS)

Jewish settlers leave West Bank outpost Add to ...

The residents of Migron, the largest and oldest Israeli settlement outpost in the West Bank, evacuated the site on Sunday ahead of a court-ordered deadline, police said.

The outpost in the occupied West Bank, built without Israeli state permission, is on private Palestinian land and in August 2011 Israel’s Supreme Court ordered that it be cleared.

More Related to this Story

The evacuation has been repeatedly delayed in the face of fierce settler opposition, but last week the court said the 50 families resident in the outpost had to be out by the end of Tuesday.

“All the families are gone,” police spokeswoman Luba Samri told AFP, noting that most left on their own while some passively resisted and were removed by police forces. “Everything is quiet here.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was pleased that the evacuation of Migron “was concluded via dialogue, in a responsible fashion and without violence.”

“This is how it should be, and how it will also be in the future,” he said at a ceremony near Tel Aviv, in remarks relayed by his office.

Most families left for temporary housing in the nearby settlement of Ofra, where they will be housed until homes being built for them in the new settlement of Givat Hayekev are ready.

The army then declared the outpost a closed military zone, a spokesman said, a move aimed at preventing theft of the property left behind and keeping out rightwing activists.

Defence ministry employees were at work packing the residents’ belongings, a ministry spokesman said.

A handful of mostly women and children were seen leaving their homes early on Sunday, although none appeared to be taking any luggage, an AFP correspondent reported.

Graffiti and signs on their homes sounded defiant tones. “Migron, we shall return,” and “We will never forget Zionism,” slogans read.

But the outpost’s residents were largely silent, trying to avoid being questioned or photographed by the media scrum.

The Israeli military said implementation of the court order began overnight.

“Several families began leaving Migron voluntarily during the night,” a spokeswoman said.

Early on Sunday, officials began distributing the evacuation orders to the families, with scores of police officers on hand to prevent unrest.

In anticipation of police attempts to forcibly move the families, around 70 young settler activists, who do not live in Migron, took over a caravan at the site and barricaded themselves in, while others could be seen on the roof.

Samri said the youths were eventually removed from the site, and police arrested eight of them.

Last week, the Supreme Court said Migron must be cleared of all residents by September 4 and all the buildings removed by September 11, after rejecting an appeal by 17 families who argued they had legally purchased the land where their homes stood.

Settlement watchdog Peace Now welcomed the ruling as a “victory for the state of law,” but the settlers described it as a “brutal rape.”

Israel outlaws settlement outposts being built without government approval and often sends security personnel to demolish them. They usually consist of little more than a few trailers.

The international community considers all settlements built in the occupied West Bank -- including annexed Arab east Jerusalem -- to be illegal.

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories