Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

O.J. Simpson arrested in alleged armed robbery Add to ...

Las Vegas police are questioning football star O.J. Simpson and he is expected to be charged in connection with last week's alleged armed robbery at a hotel room in the U.S. gambling capital, a top law enforcement official said on Sunday.

"We're arresting him for probable cause," the official, who asked not to be named.

"He's at our detective centre right now being questioned," the official told Reuters. "He's not yet booked into the Clark County Detention Center at this time."

CNN and Fox News reported that Mr. Simpson would be arraigned on Monday.

Las Vegas police spokesman Lt. Jeff Whitehead said police had arrested another man they believe was with the former star athlete during the alleged break-in.

Lt. Whitehead declined to comment on reports that police seized two firearms related to the Thursday night incident, which was reported by a sports memorabilia dealer as an armed robbery in his room at the Palace Station Hotel & Casino.

Representatives for the Palms and Mr. Simpson's attorney did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

O.J. Mr. Simpson has previously told police and the media that he did nothing wrong in Las Vegas.

"I'm not walking around feeling sad or anything. I've done nothing wrong," the former athlete, actor and murder defendant said in an interview published in the Los Angeles Times on Sunday.

In 1995, Mr. Simpson was acquitted of murdering his ex-wife and her friend in what was one of the most sensational court dramas in U.S. history.

Mr. Simpson told the paper that "golfing buddies and some of their friends" accompanied him to a meeting at the Palace Station Hotel & Casino to help him retrieve sports memorabilia, personal photos and other items he said had been stolen by a former sports agent.

Mr. Simpson, who is 60 and lives in Florida, said an auctioneer set up the meeting with the sellers. He said the men in his party were unarmed.

"I'm O.J. Mr. Simpson. How am I going to think that I'm going to rob somebody and get away with it?" he said. "You've got to understand, this ain't somebody going to steal somebody's drugs or something like that. This is somebody going to get his private [belongings]back. That's it. That's not robbery."

After he was acquitted in the murders of Nicole Brown Mr. Simpson and Ron Goldman, a civil court jury found Mr. Simpson responsible for the deaths and ordered him to pay $33.5-million in damages to their families.

The former National Football League star, who also appeared in films and commercials, has had other minor brushes with police since 1995. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mr. Simpson's latest legal flap comes as Mr. Simpson's book If I Did It, which includes a hypothetical account of his ex-wife's murder, was hitting store shelves.

 

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular