A cease-fire declared by the Ukrainian president as part of his plan to end a pro-Russia insurgency in the east has expired without any immediate word on his extending it.
The cease-fire, which President Petro Poroshenko had earlier extended from seven to 10 days, expired at 10 p.m. local time (1900 GMT, 3 p.m. EDT) Monday.
A few hours earlier, Poroshenko discussed the situation in a phone call with the leaders of Russia, Germany and France, saying the rebels had not “fulfilled the conditions.” His office didn’t say whether the truce would be extended.
The cease-fire has been continuously broken by both sides, however, and rebels have ignored Poroshenko’s demands to lay down weapons and hand back seized border posts.The leaders of Russia and Ukraine have agreed to work on the adoption of a bilateral ceasefire between separatists and Ukrainian authorities as well as quickly setting up effective border controls, the French president’s office said on Monday.
Putin again urged an extension of the ceasefire in eastern Ukraine and setting up a control mechanism to monitor the truce with the participation of the OSCE security body, the Kremlin said in a separate statement after the talks. “The leaders spoke in favour of convening a third round of consultations between Kiev and southeastern regions as soon as possible,” it added.
SLAVYANSK: DEADLY SHELLING, DESPITE CEASEFIRE
Sporadic fighting still flared Monday despite the ceasefire. Shelling killed at least two people and ruined several apartments in the rebel-held city of Slavyansk in the eastern separatist region of Donetsk.
In Slavyansk, shooting kept up through the night and into Monday morning. Residents saying the army appeared to start shelling after rebels opened fire. Heavy shelling was heard throughout the town from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.
Some of the shelling appeared to be directed at rebel front-line positions outside the city while other shells landed in a residential neighbourhood, destroying or damaging several buildings.
DONETSK: RUSSIAN TV CAMERAMAN KILLED
Ukrainian police and prosecutors were investigating the death of a cameraman working for Russia’s Channel One. Anatoly Klyan, 68, was fatally wounded when a bus carrying journalists and soldiers’ mothers was hit by gunfire.
Channel One said its crew was travelling late Sunday to a Ukrainian military base with the mothers of conscripts hoping to bring their sons home when their bus came under attack near Avdiivka, a village north of the city of Donetsk. Channel One said the trip was organized by the rebels and that the bus, whose driver was wearing camouflage, came under fire as it approached the military base in the dark.
Russia’s Foreign Ministry blamed the attack on Ukrainian soldiers and demanded an objective investigation. Klan was the fifth journalist to die since the fighting began in April.
Follow us on Twitter: