Disclosure issues, worth 12 marks out of 100 21. Does the company provide a full explanation of which directors are related and unrelated and why? One mark if full disclosure, and if the disclosure is included in the part of the proxy circular where companies disclose which directors on the board are related or unrelated. Zero marks if company does not disclose a director's relationship in the proxy circular.
22. a) Does the company disclose detailed biographies to explain directors' qualifications to represent shareholders? Does the biography demonstrate why this director is a good candidate for election? Relevant information might include educational background, non-profit affiliations, industry experience, career highlights or special achievements. One mark if yes, zero marks if not.
22. b) Does the proxy circular specify the skills or areas of expertise of each director in the form of a "skills matrix" or in another format? The details must be explicitly laid out - it is not adequate to assume they can be inferred by reading a basic biography. One mark if yes, zero if no.
23. Did directors attend all meetings, and does the company remove directors with poor attendance? Two marks if all board and committee meeting attendance is disclosed and board members attended at least three-quarters of board and committee meetings. One mark if any board member has missed more than one-quarter of meetings and is not put up for re-election. Zero marks if committee attendance is not disclosed, or if a board member or a committee member missed more than one-quarter of meetings and is put up for re-election.
24. a) Does the company disclose the total accumulated value (a dollar amount, not just number of units held) of directors' equity holdings, including shares and share units? Two marks if yes, zero if no.
24. b) Does the company explain how each director's share ownership meets (or fails to meet) the required share ownership guideline? For example, does the equity ownership chart include a column showing how the ownership compares with the requirement as a percentage, multiple or dollar value of that requirement. One mark if yes, zero if no. Zero if there is no ownership requirement.
25. a) Does the company disclose the dollar value of fees paid to an outside compensation consultant? One mark if yes or if no consultant was used, zero if no.
25. b) Does the company disclose whether the compensation consultant provided any other services in the prior year, and, if so, how much money was paid for the other services? One mark if yes or if no consultant was used, zero marks if no.
26. a) Does the company disclose directors' ages? One mark if yes, zero marks if no.
26. b) Does the company disclose whether or not it has a retirement policy for directors, and what the details of the policy are? One mark if yes, or if company states it has no retirement policy for its directors. Zero marks if no disclosure.
Board Games 2009: Overall rankings for income trusts with external management