Container traffic at the Port of Montreal is down nearly 10 per cent in the first quarter as the recession squeezes global trade, but the results are better than those of competitors, the Port of Montreal's acting president and CEO told the annual meeting yesterday. Sylvie Vachon said container traffic handled in the three months ended March 31 is down less than 10 per cent. With other traffic included, first-quarter activity is 14.1 per cent lower than the same quarter last year. "These results are definitely better than those of our competitors, which means that the Port of Montreal continues to benefit from its structural advantages and its market diversification," Ms. Vachon said.
Follow us on Twitter: