ROB Insight is a premium commentary product offering rapid analysis of business and economic news, corporate strategy and policy, published throughout the business day. Visit the ROB Insight homepage for analysis available only to subscribers.
Changes in the size of the “end is nigh” sandwich-board sign crowd – the percentage of the investing public concerned that the global financial system was about to implode – have been the primary drivers of the gold price over the past five years. Unfortunately, the Census Board doesn’t quantify their ranks so we’re left with technical analysis (as a way to measure sentiment), and the value of the trade weighted U.S. dollar (DXY) as the best tangible means to gauge whether gold is expensive or not.Report Typo/Error
- Gold Front Month Futures$1,175.70+8.80(+0.75%)
- Barrick Gold Corp$20.81+0.79(+3.95%)
- Goldcorp Inc$18.00+0.39(+2.21%)
- Yamana Gold Inc$4.03+0.14(+3.60%)
- Kinross Gold Corp$4.61+0.20(+4.54%)
- Eldorado Gold Corp$3.85+0.18(+4.90%)
- Centerra Gold Inc$6.84+0.10(+1.48%)
- Yamana Gold Inc$3.03+0.12(+4.12%)
- Sherritt International Corp$1.35+0.11(+8.87%)
- Updated December 1 7:00 PM CDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.