Lex is a premium daily commentary service from the Financial Times. It helps readers make better investment decisions by highlighting key emerging risks and opportunities.
The luxury (or curse) of large modern offices is that so many people spend so much time in meetings or on Facebook. This also explains the curious phenomenon that mass firings do not tend to do any damage. What on earth did the 30-odd thousand bankers eliminated from HSBC Holdings PLC since 2011 do all day long? The same question might be asked of the potential 14,000 additional job cuts announced on Wednesday by chief executive Stuart Gulliver.Report Typo/Error
- UBS Group AG$15.380.00(0.00%)
- Deutsche Bank AG$19.580.00(0.00%)
- Barclays PLC$11.190.00(0.00%)
- JPMorgan Chase & Co$90.430.00(0.00%)
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc$248.680.00(0.00%)
- Royal Bank of Canada$96.720.00(0.00%)
- Royal Bank of Canada$74.170.00(0.00%)
- Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC$5.850.00(0.00%)
- Credit Suisse Group AG$15.090.00(0.00%)
- Updated February 27 4:00 PM EST. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.