ROB Insight is a premium commentary product offering rapid analysis of business and economic news, corporate strategy and policy, published throughout the business day. Visit the ROB Insight homepage for analysis available only to subscribers.
It is not an exaggeration to compare the complex derivative strategies surrounding resource inventories to the U.S. subprime mortgage crisis. We’re not kidding. Mining companies are using inventories in the same way investment banks used mortgages, the complexity level is exceedingly high and, like the banking crisis, the scale of speculation is hidden from normal accounting procedures.Report Typo/Error
- First Quantum Minerals Ltd$13.33-0.01(-0.07%)
- Lundin Mining Corp$7.52+0.01(+0.13%)
- Sherritt International Corp$0.91+0.01(+1.11%)
- Canadian Natural Resources Ltd$45.07-0.26(-0.57%)
- Crescent Point Energy Corp$13.07-0.26(-1.95%)
- Suncor Energy Inc$41.63-0.59(-1.40%)
- Updated April 26 4:00 PM EDT. Delayed by at least 15 minutes.