Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Several users on social media reported the outage also affected text messages, noting that the outage extended across the country. (CHRIS WATTIE/REUTERS)
Several users on social media reported the outage also affected text messages, noting that the outage extended across the country. (CHRIS WATTIE/REUTERS)

Rogers CEO apologizes for outage; customers to receive one-day credit Add to ...

The chief executive officer of Rogers Communications Inc. is apologizing for a national outage that knocked out voice and texting services across the company’s wireless network.

Nadir Mohamed issued his statement early Thursday, after Rogers said its entire wireless network had been restored shortly before midnight eastern time.

More Related to this Story

“I recognize this service interruption was unacceptable for our customers,” Mr. Mohamed said. “We worked as quickly as possible to restore service and it was gradually restored over the course of the evening.”

Rogers and its Fido subsidiary will credit postpaid wireless subscribers, notably those who are on contract and pay their bills monthly, for one day of service due to the outage on Wednesday.

“I sincerely apologize to all of our customers for this significant inconvenience and appreciate their understanding and patience,” Mr. Mohamed said.

Rogers’ Twitter account confirmed earlier that the Toronto-based company had suffered “a wireless outage nationally, affecting voice and some SMS service” at Rogers and Fido.

Many customers on social media complained that they lost service for at least three hours.

“Rogers and Fido wireless voice and SMS services were fully restored last night,” Rogers spokeswoman Patricia Trott said in a statement early Thursday. “We’re continuing to investigate the root cause of the issue to help ensure it doesn't happen again.”

The country’s largest wireless carrier has more than nine million subscribers.

Rogers had cautioned that while it was able to restore services to parts of its network, some customers would still experience disruptions until late Wednesday night.

Ms. Trott advised subscribers early Wednesday evening to use land lines if they needed to reach police and other emergency services.

Follow on Twitter: @brentcjang

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular