The Starting a Business section of Canada Business is a one-stop introduction to launching a company.
- It can help you explore and develop your business ideas and write your business plan.
- The Checklist and guides for starting a business is an excellent overview of the process. It will help your planning immensely.
- Read BDC's short articles on The low-down on a great start-up and BDC Perspective: The essential ins for starting out
Are you the entrepreneurial type?
- Tapping into your "inner" entrepreneur. Read more .
- Try this online quiz from BDC and find out what others have said about becoming an entrepreneur.
Will it be profitable?
You may have great ideas and talent, but you should do a quick check of how much it will cost to set up your business and when you can expect it to make a profit (your break-even point). This start-up costs calculator can help.
- At this point, it's fine to estimate your expenses. See Step Two to find out more about business plans.
- The guide to Government of Canada services and support for small business offers the tools entrepreneurs need to prosper in the new economy.
- To find out how you can look for windows of opportunity, consult BDC's article Turning your idea into a successful business.
- Is your idea original? Search more than 1.4 million patents from the past 75 years in the Canadian Patents Database.
Content in this section is provided in partnership with the Business Development Bank of Canada. BDC provides entrepreneurs with financing, venture capital and consulting services. To find out more go to BDC.ca.