The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are going with Justin Goltz at quarterback for the remainder of the CFL season.
The Bombers announced Thursday that incumbent Buck Pierce has become a backup with newcomer Max Hall and Pierce will help offensive co-ordinator Gary Crowton develop the club’s young quarterbacks.
“We just feel like we have a desire and a need to develop the quarterbacks for the future of the organization,” head coach Tim Burke told reporters. “We want to have continuity with our offence and we feel like Justin will give us a better chance for week in and week out continuity.
“We just feel like he (Goltz) is performing right around the same level, maybe just slightly better than Buck is performing and feel like he’s got a lot of upside potential. We just feel he can keep getting better week after week and we feel that’s going to be the case with Max as well.”
Pierce opened the season as Winnipeg’s starter but suffered an abdominal injury in a 35-19 loss to Toronto on July 19. Injuries have plagued Pierce since joining the Bombers in 2010.
“He (Pierce) was great,” Burke said when asked of Pierce’s reaction to his demotion. “He wants to help this team win.”
Goltz drew his first CFL start last week, finishing 19-of-35 passing for 194 yards with two TDs and an interception in a 37-24 loss to Calgary. Winnipeg is 1-4 this season and visits the B.C. Lions on Monday.
Burke said no decision has been made yet whether Pierce or Hall will become No. 2 quarterback.
“I will say we feel Max Hall has developed as well, we think he’s come a long way since joining the organization,” Burke said. “We’ll see where it goes from here.”Report Typo/Error