David Duval says if he is unable to regain his status on the PGA Tour in 2014, he will look to "do something else" besides playing golf.
In a series of tweets on Tuesday in which he outlined his plans for next year, Duval said he hopes to play a full schedule with the help of sponsors exemptions but added it would be the last year he would rely on them to get into tournaments.
"I will be asking for exemptions in 2014," the former world number one tweeted. "I wish to state without hesitation that 2014 is the last time I will ask for exemptions.
"I think that if I can have a 20 event schedule then it's up to me to get my status. As a player you need to perform and if I don't do that in 2014 I will do something else."
Duval, who is ranked 1,528 in the World Golf Rankings, made just one of eight cuts on the PGA Tour, earning just $6,210. Duval has missed two of three cuts in the new 2014 season, finishing in a tie for 75th at the OHL Classic in Mexico.
Duval, who has struggled with both injuries and issues with his swing, said he has been working with Chris O'Connel, Matt Kuchar's swing coach, and he's been encouraged by the results.
"The work we have done in the 8+ months I am very pleased with," tweeted Duval. "Chris O has been instrumental in helping me understand how and why I hit the golf ball well."
"The restoration of my golf swing and of my hitting has been great. Unfortunately I have had nothing to show for it. I believe 100 percent in what I'm doing."Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter: