Richard Scott made a difficult decision on Friday and declined his invitation into this month's RBC Canadian Open.
The golfer from Kingsville, Ont., was one of 11 Canadians extended an exemption earlier this week by tournament director Bill Paul based on his strong play this season on the Web.com Tour.
However, Scott tells the London Free Press that it is because of his strong play of late on the developmental tour that is the reason behind his decision to play in a Web.com Tour event scheduled for the same week as the Open in Hamilton. The 28-year-old three-time Canadian Amateur champion currently sits 27th on the money list with the top 25 at the end of the year qualifying for PGA Tour status in 2013.
“On one side, it’s kind of a bummer that I got the opportunity to play this year and I’m going to have to pass it up, but at the same time, I think it’s the best decision for me right now," said Scott, who has three top-10 results this season.
"Like I said, there will be many more in the future and, hopefully, I’ll be contending to win one down the road,” added Scott.