Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Ryo Ishikawa tees off (Dave Chidley/THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Ryo Ishikawa tees off (Dave Chidley/THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Ryo Ishikawa gets British Open spot after Steve Stricker pulls out Add to ...

World number 19 Steve Stricker will miss next week’s British Open at Hoylake after deciding not to take up his exemption, organizers said in a statement on Tuesday.

The 47-year-old American, a part-time player in recent seasons who also missed the Open championship in 2013, is replaced by Ryo Ishikawa of Japan.

Stricker told reporters at last week’s Greenbrier Classic in West Virginia that he was undecided whether to make the trip across the Atlantic for the year’s third major.

“I’m not sure about the British yet but still looking forward to playing four or five tournaments before the year’s out, or maybe six, and see what happens from here on out,” Stricker said.

“I’m leaning on not going. That is my gut instinct right now. It will be a last-minute decision probably.”

Stricker, who qualified for the Open through his world ranking, has made the cut in all eight of his PGA Tour starts this season, recording one top-10 finish and four more in the top-25.

Ishikawa won last week on the Japan Golf Tour for the first time in 20 months, and timing could not have been better.

By defeating Koumei Oda in a playoff, Ishikawa moved up to No. 76 in the world ranking and its the ranking that is used this week for the alternate list.

Ross Fisher is the next alternate, followed by David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., Daniel Summerhays and Seung-yul Noh of South Korea.

The Open at Royal Liverpool Golf Club starts on July 17.

Files from the Associated Press were used in this report

Follow us on Twitter: @Globe_Sports

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories