Before reading the answers, try the quiz
1. Including 2012, how many Grey Cup games have been played?
- 101: The 1940 Grey Cup was a 2-game total points series.
2. Who played the greatest number of seasons without ever being a member of a Grey Cup championship team?
- Troy Westwood: in 18 seasons as kicker, played on the losing team in the Grey Cup games of 1992, 1993, 2001, and 2007.
3. What was the only year in which a team played in the Grey Cup game at home without playing a playoff game at home?
- 1994: The British Columbia Lions beat the Edmonton Eskimos 24-23 in the western semi-final at Commonwealth Stadium; beat the Calgary Stampeders 37-36 in the western final at McMahon Stadium; and beat the Baltimore Football Club 26-23 in the Grey Cup at B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver.
4. Who holds the record for the most touchdowns on pass receptions in a Grey Cup game?
- Tom Scott, Edmonton: 3 of his 12 receptions in 1980 went for touchdowns.
5. Who scored the Toronto Argonauts’ most recent Grey Cup touchdown?
- QB Damon Allen: 1-yard rush in the third quarter of the 2004 Grey Cup against BC Lions
6. What was the last team to win the Canadian Rugby Union championship prior to the Grey Cup being awarded for the first time in 1909?
- The Hamilton Tigers defeated the University of Toronto Varsity Blues in 1908
7. What was the last team to win a Grey Cup using only Canadian players?
- The Toronto Argonauts won three straight Grey Cups from 1945-1947 using only Canadian players
8. How many Grey Cups have ended with the winning point(s) being scored on the game’s final play?
- Five: 1947, 1972, 1994, 1998, 2009
9. Which player scored the Grey Cup’s first 2-point convert?
- Marco Cyncar: The Eskimos’ slotback caught a pass from Warren Moon in fourth quarter of 1981 final against Ottawa
10. What was the biggest lead ever blown in a Grey Cup game by the team
that eventually lost?
- 20 points: In 1981 the Edmonton Eskimos came back to beat Ottawa Rough Riders 26-23
11. When was the Grey Cup first played on artificial turf?
- 1971: The Calgary Stampeders defeated Toronto Argonauts at Empire Stadium in Vancouver
12. When was the Grey Cup first played indoors?
- 1983: The Toronto Argonauts defeated the British Columbia Lions at B.C. Place Stadium
13. Who was the last Prime Minister to present the Grey Cup to players from
the winning team?
- Joe Clark at the 1979 Grey Cup game between Edmonton and Montreal
14. Which stadium has hosted the greatest number of Grey Cup games?
- Varsity Stadium, Toronto, hosted 30 Grey Cup games starting in 1911
15. What was the last year in which no Grey Cup game was played?
- 1919: Football had resumed after the end of the Great War, but no league was interested in competing in playoffs for the Grey Cup
16. In what year was the Grey Cup first televised?
- 1926: Toronto station CFCA broadcast the Ottawa Senators’ 10-7 win over the University of Toronto Varsity Blues
17. How many Grey Cups were won by university teams?
- Seven: University of Toronto Varsity Blues won in 1909, 1910, 1911 and 1920; the Queen’s University Tricolor won in 1922, 23, 24
18. Which city has been home to the Grey Cup champions and Vanier Cup champions in the same year?
- Edmonton in 1980, with the Eskimos and the Alberta Golden Bears
19. What prize did the first man named Most Valuable Player in a Grey Cup
game win in 1959?
- Triumph TR-3 sports car
20. Who was the first man to play in both a Grey Cup and a Super Bowl?
- Stewart "Smokey" Stover, linebacker with the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl I in 1967 won Grey Cup with Hamilton in 1967
Follow us on Twitter: