NASHVILLE - So far, the Mouth of the South hasn't sounded off with anything controversial.
But the series is young, and so is Shane O'Brien's Twitter account.
The Nashville Predators defenceman joined the social media network late Monday, and has already produced a few tweets, but nothing regarding his team's series with the Vancouver Canucks.
The best-of-seven Western Conference semi-final is tied 1-1 heading into Game 3 Tuesday at Bridgestone Arena.
"A little more personality, a little more flair, it can't hurt," O'Brien said about growing the NHL and the sport of hockey in the United States. "I'm not going to go Charlie Sheen, although I do enjoy following him."
O'Brien, or @shaneobrien55, joked that the Predators media relations director "looked like he got about one hour and five minutes sleep" after learning that the outspoken native of Port Hope, Ont. had joined Twitter.
"Leave it to me to get involved on the day before Game 3," O'Brien said. "I was just bored. I'm a single guy with an iPhone."
The 27-year-old said he has matured and "hopefully will not cause too much controversy."
Head coach Barry Trotz acknowledged that the organization has talked to O'Brien about his social media involvement, but believes also sees maturation and doesn't expect him to cross the line.
"He realizes that in the past, he's done some things that probably got him trouble," Trotz said.
O'Brien said he regretted an outburst two years ago when he said that Canucks general manager Mike Gillis only wanted him to fight and that he felt the team was limiting him as a player.
"It made me look selfish," O'Brien said.Report Typo/Error