The Vancouver Canucks are confirming that a “mutually agreeable” settlement has been reached in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against NHL forward Todd Bertuzzi over an infamous on-ice attack that ended Moore’s career 10 years ago.
Moore’s multimillion-dollar suit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks had been set to go to trial Sept. 8.
Geoff Adair, a lawyer for Bertuzzi, said Tuesday the case had been “settled in its totality,” but the terms were confidential.
Media reports raised doubts about the finality of the settlement, and TSN reported Wednesday that Moore’s brother told him there was no deal yet.
Adair has not responded to numerous follow-up requests for comment and Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, has not publicly confirmed a settlement.
The Canucks released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying a settlement was reached.
“Canucks Sports & Entertainment confirms that a mutually agreeable and confidential settlement of the action commenced by Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks has been reached,” the hockey club said in its statement. “The settlement is a result of mediation sessions with former Ontario Chief Justice Warren Winkler. No further details will be disclosed and the Canucks respectfully decline requests for comment.”
The notorious hit happened on March 8, 2004. Bertuzzi, then playing for the Vancouver Canucks, hit Moore from behind, sending the hapless Colorado Avalanche rookie crashing face-first to the ice and leaving him with a concussion and fractured vertebrae.
Moore alleges the Canucks had put a bounty on his head following his check that left their captain Markus Naslund injured. Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to criminal assault causing bodily harm for the hit and was sentenced in December 2004 to one year probation and 80 hours of community service.