Fiery Australian Bernard Tomic was involved in an angry exchange with reporters after he was accused of tanking in his US Open 6-3, 6-4, 6-0 defeat to Andy Roddick on Friday.
The 19-year-old, whose career had been dogged by controversy, was reportedly accused by American legend John McEnroe of not trying in the final set of the second round match on the Arthur Ashe Court which lasted just 21 minutes.
When asked to respond to McEnroe’s comments, which were made in TV commentary, Tomic berated a reporter in an angry stand-off.
“Really? What do you think?” said the player. “That’s how I play. Do you have a problem with that?”
When the questioner replied that he wanted Tomic to give his side of the story, the teenager fired back: “That’s your prediction. I have mine. That’s how I play. If you think that’s that, it’s up to you. What is your name?”
When the journalist told him his name and the organisation he represented, the Australian world number 43 hit back menacingly: “I’ll remember you.”
John McEnroe’s opinion was backed up his brother Patrick, also a former player and US Davis Cup captain.
“Pathetic,” he tweeted. “In case you were wondering I was referring to effort from Tomic @usopen.”
Tomic is no stranger to controversy.
At Wimbledon this year, he was fined after a racquet-smashing end to his surprise first-round loss to Belgian wildcard David Goffin, one which damaged the surface of one of the grass courts.
In January, Tomic was stopped twice by Melbourne police for what they said were unauthorised trips in his powerful, brightly-coloured yellow BMW on a learner’s driving permit.
The uproar resulted in a police stand-off and intervention by local politicians, along with a court appearance for the player.