Below are listed some E3 2008 developments that have caught my attention, including the announcement of what looks to be a daring new game from Ubisoft called I Am Alive and a slip up by a Microsoft executive who appears to have outed a new Halo game.
- Bungie unexpectedly shelved its highly anticipated E3 announcement of a new game. The studio posted a message Tuesday night on its website that attributed its withdrawal from the show to a decision made by its publisher. However, Xbox executive Don Mattrick may have inadvertantly spilled the beans on Bungie's new project during an interview with MTV Multiplayer's Stephen Totilo in which he mentioned that the developer is working on a new Halo game.
- Ubisoft unveiled a short teaser trailer for what looks to be a horror adventure game called I Am Alive . Set in the streets of a Chicago ravaged by some unknown catastrophe, it will apparently put players in the shoes of a man wandering amid ruins trying to survive the disaster. It's set to hit PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2009.
- Activision announced a mysterious new third-person action game called Singularity via a short video that features a heavily accented man discussing what appears to be a scientific experiment gone awry. No word yet on the platforms for which it is being developed.
- Call of Duty: World at War , the latest game in developer Treyarch's popular military shooter series, is in development for all current generation platforms and is set for a November 2008 release. It will move the franchise back to the Second World War and feature the voice talent of Kiefer Sutherland as the primary hero.
- 2K announced that the PlayStation 3 edition of BioShock , set for release this fall, will feature exclusive content in the form of small side quests called "challenge rooms" that will take place outside the story's narrative.
- Universal's interactive arm will create a third-person video game version of this summer's successful action flick Wanted that will purportedly feature highly cinematic game play and allow players to slow time and "bend" bullets.
- Rockstar Games has committed to releasing Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars , an exclusive game for Nintendo DS that will apparently feature the same sort of open-ended play found in GTA games released for consoles, in early 2009.
- Gearbox, makers of the Brothers in Arms games, unveiled a new video for its upcoming, original science-fiction shooter/racer Borderlands , that shows off some enormous predators, lots of guns, and a stark but beautiful alien vista. It's headed for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC this winter.