Reuters Breakingviews delivers agenda-setting financial insight. Its global correspondents react to stories as they develop, delivering sharp and provocative commentary on big financial news as it breaks.
Fiat’s chief executive Sergio Marchionne passes for a tough and canny negotiator. These skills have brought him control over 58.5 per cent of Chrysler at a bargain basement price of less than $2-billion (U.S.) . However, in his attempt to buy the remaining 41.5 per cent currently owned by VEBA, a healthcare trust affiliated with the United Auto Workers, Mr. Marchionne may over-egg the pudding.