The Toronto Blue Jays did not offer third baseman Josh Donaldson a contract extension prior to trading him to the Cleveland Indians last week, according to Donaldson’s agent.

A report from Jon Heyman of Fancred on Thursday said the Jays “extended an offer for more than the three-year, $75 million deal the Phillies gave to free agent pitcher Jake Arrieta, another major star older than 30. The belief is they were flexible to go at least a bit higher.

“... However, word is that after Donaldson initially seemed willing to continue talks, bringing brief hope for a deal, ultimately his camp suggested a figure range that put the sides far apart enough that talks discontinued.”

Story continues below advertisement

Donaldson’s agent, Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group, denied the report in an emailed statement to multiple media outlets.

“The fact is that the team never extended an offer to Josh, no years or dollars were ever specifically discussed, and it’s unfair to Josh for someone to repeatedly misrepresent his business affairs citing their ‘beliefs,’” Lozano said.

Lozano also referenced a previous report from Heyman about an extension in February that Donaldson had personally disputed on Twitter at the time.

Donaldson was dealt from the Blue Jays to the Indians on Aug. 31 for a player to be named.

The Indians subsequently placed Donaldson on the 10-day disabled list Monday as he continues to recover from a left calf strain that has sidelined him since May 28.

Donaldson, the 2015 American League MVP, played in just 36 games for the Blue Jays this season, hitting .234 with five home runs and 16 RBIs. He is making $23 million this year and becomes a free agent in the offseason.