Skip to main content
Open this photo in gallery:

The Barr Hydro Plant, with an installed capacity of 4.4 MW, is on Vancouver Island near the village of Zeballos. Synex International has an 80 per cent interest in ownership and operation; the remaining 20 per cent interest is owned by the Ehattesaht First Nation.SUPPLIED

Listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange since 1987, Synex International has been a pioneer in renewable energy projects in British Columbia. With today’s growing demand for green renewable energy and the potential for hydrogen to become the next super fuel, the company is well positioned for the future, says Daniel J. Russell, president of Russell Industries and Synex International.

“With over 4,875 megawatts of green power licenses in British Columbia, our sites are well situated for being able to feed into the North American grid as well as produce hydrogen fuel to ship from B.C. ports to across the world, including Asia and California, or transport it through the existing extensive pipelines system,” he says.

As for the next frontier? Synex is in the early stage of developing a wind project on Aristazabal Island with the potential to deliver 1,000 megawatts (MW) of power, says Mr. Russell. “And the site would have the ability to convert this power to hydrogen for local or Asian markets or connect to the B.C. grid via an underwater transmission cable.”

For Tanya DeAngelis, chairperson, director, corporate secretary and operations executive at Synex, hydrogen will become yet another tool for driving a large-scale decarbonization of the economy.

As the only female chair of a TSX-listed utilities sector company in the independent power producer industry, Ms. DeAngelis considers it fitting that she heads a firm in the renewable energy space, with the operational and development experience to become a major player in the Canadian renewable power industry.

Synex has a total of 12 MW of operating facilities in B.C. Construction-ready run-of-river projects, applications and land tenures on 24 potential hydroelectric sites and 18 wind development sites bring its potential capacity to 4,875 MW of green power.

Our run-of-river power plants and wind licences are green and carbon-conscious developments. They are also scalable. You can build what is needed, when it’s needed.

Tanya DeAngelis, Chairperson, Director, Corporate Secretary and Operations Executive, Synex International

“For our long-term vision, we want to build out our water licences and wind developments,” says Mr. Russell. “In the short term, we own and operate 11 – almost 12 – megawatts of run-of-river power plants, and we look to purchase and develop other small and medium-sized renewable assets across Canada.”

Such assets are typically too big to be purchased and run by small and medium-sized private businesses, yet too small to attract large corporations, says Mr. Russell, “We’re well positioned to become the acquirer and operator of small and medium-sized power plants and projects, and become a leader in this niche market.”

What makes these projects so attractive is that they create little or no environmental disruption, says Ms. DeAngelis. “Our run-of-river power plants and wind licences are green and carbon-conscious developments,” she explains. “They are also scalable. You can build what is needed, when it’s needed.”

Synex’s approach counts on building support in local communities. “We live in one world – and we need to engage all stakeholders in projects that concern their future,” stresses Mr. Russell. “Community members appreciate being involved in renewable energy projects that meet their needs and create local jobs. They feel connected.”

And “demand for green energy – along with measures that accelerate energy security and a low-carbon transition – will only increase,” says Ms. DeAngelis, who believes Synex is ready for the challenge.

The Aristazabal Island wind project ticks all the boxes, says Mr. Russell. “It’s a gem of a project that’s perfect for producing clean renewable energy with minimal environmental and community disruption.”

Advertising feature produced by Randall Anthony Communications. The Globe’s editorial department was not involved.