Skip to main content

The chief executives of three major banks are the latest to pull out of a high-profile conference in Saudi Arabia next week, the latest business leaders to abandon the event amid widespread concern about the fate of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

HSBC CEO John Flint, StanChart chief executive Bill Winters, and Tidjane Thiam, the chief executive of Credit Suisse, have all dropped plans to travel to the Oct 23-25 event amidst uproar over the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a source familiar with the situation told Reuters.

The moves follow similar decisions by JP Morgan & Chase Co. chief executive Jamie Dimon and BlackRock chief executive Larry Fink – the first senior bankers to boycott the conference in response to a backlash against the world’s top oil exporter. World Bank president Jim Yong Kim has said he will not attend and IMF managing director Christine Lagarde has deferred her trip as well.

Dutch Finance Minister Wopke Hoekstra said on Tuesday that if there is no clarification from Riyadh about what happened to Khashoggi, he will most likely not attend.

Executives from the media and technology industries have also withdrawn, including Los Angeles Times owner Patrick Soon-Shiong, Economist editor-in-chief Zanny Minton Beddoes, and New York Times columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin. Others include London Stock Exchange CEO David Schwimmer, BNP Paribas chairman Jean Lemierre, Standard Chartered CEO William Winters, Google Cloud chief executive Diane Greene, Ford executive chairman Bill Ford, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi, Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman, MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga, Viacom CEO Bob Bakish, Thrive CEO Ariana Huffington, and Sinovation Ventures CEO Kai-Fu Lee.

Khashoggi, a U.S. resident and Washington Post columnist critical of Riyadh’s policies disappeared on Oct. 2 after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Turkey believes he was murdered and his body removed. Saudi Arabia has so far denied that, but American news outlets have reported the country is now preparing to acknowledge Khashoggi’s death in a botched interrogation.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Riyadh on Tuesday to discuss the case, which has strained U.S. ties with Riyadh, carefully cultivated by President Donald Trump. Trump has speculated “rogue killers” may be responsible.

Among those still planning to participate in the conference are U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser, and EDF CEO Jean-Bernard Lévy. A number of executives have not yet commented on whether they will attend, including SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son, Glencore chairman Tony Hayward, and Societe Generale CEO Frédéric Oudéa.

Report an error

Tickers mentioned in this story