Skip to main content

A Canadian Red Cross truck sits outside the Yukon Lodge at CFB Trenton, in a Feb. 6, 2020, file photo.Justin Tang/The Canadian Press

Canada’s top health official has released the final 195 Canadians and their families who were brought home from Wuhan, China, after two weeks of observation for the novel coronavirus.

All the Wuhan evacuees were quarantined at Canadian Forces Base Trenton for 14 days – the presumed incubation period of the virus – to be isolated and observed for signs of the disease now called COVID-19.

A group of 219 evacuees were allowed to leave the base last week after passing a final round of health screening.

Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam says none of the evacuees from Wuhan showed any signs of the virus and they do not pose a risk of transmitting the disease when they return to their homes.

The government has offered to transport the evacuees to Toronto, where they will make their way to their homes.

Dr. Tam says the risk of the coronavirus spreading within Canada is still low.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Report an error