Police say an unattended cigarette might be what sparked a fire in a Montreal apartment unit that has left a woman and her eight-year-old daughter dead.
The fire broke out about 11 p.m. Friday in an apartment in a 51-unit building in Lachine, in western Montreal.
Montreal police say the deaths of the mother, 40, and her daughter were pronounced in hospital.
Three other minors — a five-year-old girl and two boys, 13, were taken to hospital.
All five people are members of the same family and police say the five-year-old girl remains in critical condition today.
Const. Jean-Pierre Brabant says the twin boys jumped from a second-storey back balcony to evade the flames, suffering minor injuries.
Brabant says investigators are working with a hypothesis that a forgotten cigarette sparked the fire.
Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.