Good evening, these are the top coronavirus headlines tonight:
- Paxlovid continues to protect higher-risk individuals against the most dire COVID-19 consequences, a new Canadian study found
- Alberta Premier Danielle Smith’s conversations with those facing COVID-19-related charges in court are under scrutiny
COVID-19 updates from Canada and the world
- Britain’s Queen Consort Camilla tests positive for COVID-19, and has cancelled all her public engagements for this week.
- Alberta’s Opposition NDP is calling on Premier Danielle Smith to divulge all her conversations relating to COVID-19 court cases after she acknowledged having contact with an accused before his trial relating to a blockade at a U.S.-Canada border crossing.
- A new Canadian study has found the antiviral drug Paxlovid continued to protect higher-risk individuals against COVID-related hospital admissions and death even after the Omicron variant was in circulation.
- The shift to virtual real estate transactions during the pandemic contributed to a rise in fraud in the Toronto area, experts say.
- Airbnb, one of the top pandemic beneficiaries, has seen its revenue growth cool lately as fewer people are booking long-term rental stays away from cities with employers urging workers to return to offices.
- Unilever is expecting a “consumption boom” in China now that lockdowns have eased, flagging $1.5-$2-trillion in “excess household savings.”
- Child poverty decreased in British Columbia in 2020 due to provincial and federal government benefits provided in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, but progress may be wiped out by the rising costs of living, an advocacy group says.
Marcus Gee: How misinformation can kill you
- When will COVID-19 be endemic? The four factors that will shape the virus’s future
- Wastewater is filling the COVID-19 data gap.
Thank you for subscribing to our Coronavirus Update Newsletter. As the pandemic eases, we plan to wind this down and eventually cease sending, but have many other newsletters to keep you informed, including Globe Climate, Carrick on Money and Breaking News.
Reach out to us: firstname.lastname@example.org