Good evening, these are the top coronavirus headlines tonight:
- What Canadians need to know about COVID right now, from BA.5 to boosters
- Canada bringing back mandatory random COVID-19 testing of travellers arriving at main airports
- Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids under 5
An increasing number of health agencies have changed how they're reporting data on the coronavirus. A look at the current numbers in Canada for reported cases, deaths from COVID-19 and for hospitalizations can be found here.
COVID-19 updates from Canada and the world
- The summer wave is upon us. Here’s what Canadians need to know about the new subvariants, getting boosters and the likelihood of reinfection.
- What is long COVID? Four explanations on how and why it occurs
- The federal government announced plans Thursday to start randomly testing travellers at Canada’s four main airports for COVID-19 again next week, but intends to move the actual swabbing off-site.
- Provinces are taking differing approaches to rolling out fourth doses of COVID-19 vaccines. This week Ontario, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador expanded eligibility for fourth doses to all adults. Here are the eligibility guidelines for every province and territory.
- COVID-19 outbreaks more than doubled in Ontario long-term care homes in the first week of July, Public Health Ontario says, as the sector sees the impact of a seventh virus wave.
- Health Canada approved Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine for kids under five, making it the first vaccine approved for that age group in the country.
Looking for more top headlines? Subscribe to our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters to get caught up on our latest stories.
- Fans eager to return to concert venues after two years of delays and cancellations are finding that the costs of live music events are much higher than they were before the pandemic.
- Canadians’ after-tax income surged in 2020 with help from COVID-19 benefits, new census results show.
- China’s economy shrinks 2.6 per cent during COVID-19 shutdown
Want in-depth analysis on what governments are doing with your tax dollars? Subscribe to our Tax & Spend newsletter.
Robyn Urback: Canadians are delusional captives to a broken health care system
Globe editorial board: Another COVID-19 wave is here – if only we could do something about it. (Hint: We can)
Andrew Coyne: How the pandemic broke central bankers’ orderly world
Want to hear more from our columnists? Subscribe to the Opinion newsletter, and get it in your inbox, Monday to Saturday.
- Alberta judge rules requiring COVID-19 vaccination for organ transplant candidate not unconstitutional
- First Nations in northern Ontario face COVID-19 surge amid health-care worker shortage
- Everything you need to know about Canada’s travel rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated people
- When will COVID-19 be endemic? The four factors that will shape the virus’s future
- Wastewater is filling the COVID-19 data gap
Thank you for subscribing to our Coronavirus Update Newsletter. As the pandemic eases, we plan to wind this down and eventually cease sending, but have many other newsletters to keep you informed, including Globe Climate, Carrick on Money and Breaking News.
Reach out to us: firstname.lastname@example.org