Good evening, these are the top coronavirus headlines tonight:
- What Canadians need to know about the Omicron subvariant XBB.1.5
- WHO urges travellers to wear masks on long-haul flights as new subvariant spreads
- China imposes transit curbs for South Korean, Japanese nationals amid escalating COVID-19 spat
COVID-19 updates from Canada and the world
- XBB.1.5, referred to by some as the Kraken variant, is just the latest in a constantly evolving string of new variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. XBB.1.5 now seems to be spreading with remarkable speed in the United States.
- Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador reported cases of the XBB.1.5 subvariant, reflecting a spread being reported around the globe.
- Countries should consider recommending that passengers wear masks on long-haul flights, given the rapid spread of the XBB.1.5 subvariant, WHO officials said on Tuesday.
- The WHO said a lack of data was making it challenging to help China manage the risks of a COVID-19 surge over the Lunar New Year holiday. The holiday comes amid an escalating diplomatic spat in which Beijing introduced transit curbs for South Korean and Japanese nationals on Wednesday.
- People in Beijing rushed to immigration offices on Monday, eager to renew their passports after China dropped COVID-19 border controls that had largely prevented its population from travelling for three years.
- Canada’s urban areas experienced their strongest population growth in at least two decades, rebounding from a weak expansion during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Nancy Qian: China’s brutal COVID winter is just beginning
On today’s episode of The Decibel, host Menaka Raman-Wilms speaks with virologist Dr. Angela Rasmussen about new variant XBB 1.5, and what we know, and don’t know, about it.
- Everything you need to know about Canada’s travel rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated people
- When will COVID-19 be endemic? The four factors that will shape the virus’s future
- Wastewater is filling the COVID-19 data gap
Thank you for subscribing to our Coronavirus Update Newsletter. As the pandemic eases, we plan to wind this down and eventually cease sending, but have many other newsletters to keep you informed, including Globe Climate, Carrick on Money and Breaking News.
Reach out to us: firstname.lastname@example.org