A family feud over a million-dollar lottery jackpot has landed in Nova Scotia Supreme Court, as a woman follows through on her claim that she never intended to split the Chase the Ace winnings.
Barbara Reddick has sued her nephew Tyrone MacInnis after the $1.2-million grand prize of a charity fundraiser in rural Cape Breton was divided between the two, leaving them each with $611,319.50.
Her lawyer, Adam Rodgers, says the tickets were purchased with her money and there was no contract or agreement of any kind to share the proceeds — even though both of their names were on the winning ticket.
He says a motion for a preservation order — which would freeze MacInnis’s winnings until the case is resolved — will be heard in Port Hawkesbury on Aug. 10.
The controversy gained widespread attention after a celebratory photo op earlier this month ended with Reddick telling her 19-year-old nephew she intended to take him to court, a scene that was caught on video and quickly went viral.
Chase the Ace has gained increasing popularity in Nova Scotia, with rural areas using the lottery to raise money for everything from local fire departments to legions.