Skip to main content

Hydro One electricity transmission lines are seen south of Chesley, Ont., on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019.Colin Perkel/The Canadian Press

More than 80,000 Ontarians remained without power Sunday, a day after violent winds blew through the southern part of the province.

Utility Hydro One says 450,000 customers lost power during the wind storm, and crews were still working to get the lights back on for more than 81,000 as of Sunday night.

The company says it has logged more than 250 broken poles and 53 damaged transformers so far, and those numbers are expected to grow.

Winds that surpassed 100 kilometres per hour also felled trees and knocked down power lines.

Hydro One says there were roughly 3,500 outages in hard-to-reach areas, which may take longer to resolve.

It’s urging people to stay away from downed lines because they could be dangerous.

This content appears as provided to The Globe by the originating wire service. It has not been edited by Globe staff.