Skip to main content

Michel Cadotte, accused of murder in the 2017 death of his ailing wife in what has been described as a mercy killing, leaves a the courtroom in Montreal on Feb. 13, 2019.

Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press

The jury deciding the fate of a Montreal man on trial for the killing of his ailing wife wants to hear his testimony again.

Late Friday, jurors sent an envelope making the request to Quebec Superior Court Justice Helene Di Salvo, asking to relisten to Michel Cadotte’s testimony.

Cadotte, 57, is charged with second-degree murder in the slaying of Jocelyne Lizotte in February 2017.

Story continues below advertisement

Lizotte, 60, was suffocated in her long-term care bed at a Montreal facility where she was receiving treatment for the final stages of Alzheimer’s disease, which had left her incapable of recognizing her family or taking care of herself.

Cadotte had been told in 2016 that his wife of 19 years did not qualify for a medically assisted death because she couldn’t consent and was not considered to be at the end of her life.

Cadotte’s lawyers have argued their client was in a depressed state and was unable to cope after watching Lizotte suffer for nine years. The Crown has countered that Cadotte understood the impact of his actions and intended to kill Lizotte when he held a pillow over her face.

The jurors have two possible verdicts open to them: They must decide whether the crime carried the intent requisite for second-degree murder or if it was manslaughter.

The request to relisten to Cadotte came after a second full day of deliberations that went an hour longer than usual.

Arrangements were made to have the jurors listen to the testimony beginning Saturday. During the trial, Cadotte’s testimony and cross-examination by the Crown lasted about two days.

“They are a conscientious jury who are doing their job, so we have a lot of faith in them,” Elfriede Duclervil, Cadotte’s lawyer, told reporters, with fellow defence attorney Nicolas Welt adding Cadotte’s testimony is central to his state of mind.

“It’s exactly what we asked them to do, and it’s what they’re doing,” Duclervil added.

The eight-man, four-woman jury was sequestered Wednesday after receiving lengthy instructions from Di Salvo.

The jury will remain sequestered until they reach a unanimous verdict.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter