Skip to main content
Complete Olympic Games coverage at your fingertips
Your inside track on the Olympic Games
Enjoy unlimited digital access
per week for 24 weeks
Complete Olympic Games coverage at your fingertips
Your inside track onthe Olympics Games
per week
for 24 weeks
// //

Linda and Kevin O'Leary on Nov. 19, 2017.

Jordan Strauss/The Associated Press

Celebrity businessman Kevin O’Leary testified at his wife’s trial on Wednesday, saying he did not recall if she had consumed alcohol in the hours before a “chaotic” boat crash that killed two people.

Linda O’Leary has pleaded not guilty to one charge of careless operation of a vessel under the Canada Shipping Act. She was driving the boat when it collided with another vessel at 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 24, 2019, on Lake Joseph, north of Toronto.

The couple and a family friend were returning to their cottage from a dinner party at another cottage when the crash happened.

Story continues below advertisement

Boat had lights on when it was hit by vessel operated by Linda O’Leary, witness says

Linda O’Leary had alcohol on breath after deadly boat crash, court documents reveal

“We just went right into it. It was just a huge surprise,” Mr. O’Leary testified by Zoom from Los Angeles.

He said the other boat was “invisible” until moments before impact. The ski boat the O’Learys were in was travelling at between 14 and 20 (nautical) miles per hour at the time, he testified.

Mr. O’Leary, the former star of the CBC show Dragons’ Den, described the night as dark and moonless, and testified he saw “zero light” coming from the other vessel until after the collision, when he said the lights turned on and it drove away.

“It’s like it had a shroud on it or something,” he testified. “This is just an opinion, but you would have to work very hard to make a boat that size that dark.”

The moments after the crash were “chaotic,” Mr. O’Leary repeatedly said. He testified that both he and his wife called out to the other vessel and did not hear a response. He said his immediate focus in the aftermath was on the other passenger in the family’s boat who was bleeding from a head injury.

He said he learned at around 2 a.m. from a police officer that a passenger in the other boat had been killed, and another seriously injured.

Gary Poltash, 64, of Florida, died that night, and Suzana Brito, 48, from Uxbridge, Ont., died in hospital a few days later. Three people were also injured.

Story continues below advertisement

The question of whether the other boat, a 16-seat Nautique, had its lights on has been a point of contention in the case. Witnesses on the other boat, including the owner who was charged in the crash with failing to exhibit a navigation light, testified that they remembered some lights being on.

Court earlier heard testimony from a police officer who said Ms. O’Leary registered an “alert range” level of blood alcohol on a breath test taken shortly after the crash. The female officer said Ms. O’Leary told her she had only had one drink after the crash.

Mr. O’Leary told the court he does not recall his wife appearing affected by alcohol in the hours before or after the crash, though there were several hours when he was not with her, including at least an hour after the crash when police were speaking with her alone.

He said his wife drove their boat to and from a dinner party that night as she often did as the more experienced boater of the couple. The group decided that afternoon that Ms. O’Leary would be the designated driver, which is “usually how it goes,” Mr. O’Leary said.

Wine was served at a 2 p.m. lunch and at the dinner party that started after 7 p.m. at a friend’s cottage across the lake, Mr. O’Leary testified. He said he drank alcohol but couldn’t remember if Ms. O’Leary did or not.

Cocktails were also served at the dinner and Mr. O’Leary said Ms. O’Leary “might have” consumed one, but “probably a watered down one because she was [the designated driver].”

Story continues below advertisement

“She knows if she’s the designated driver, she’s got to be very conscious about consuming alcohol,” he told the court.

A lawyer for the prosecution grilled Mr. O’Leary about whether he talked with his son and his friends, who witnessed the crash from the family’s cottage, about what they saw before giving a statement to police the next day.

Friends of Mr. O’Leary’s son told the trial earlier that they saw the lights on the other boat turn on only after the crash.

The prosecution also pointed out inconsistency in Mr. O’Leary’s statements to police and to the trial about the speed the boat was travelling. Mr. O’Leary said he was basing his speed assessment on the fact that the boat was “planing,” but didn’t have an exact figure.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow topics related to this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies