Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Support Quality Journalism
The Globe and Mail
First Access to Latest
Investment News
Collection of curated
e-books and guides
Inform your decisions via
Globe Investor Tools
per week
for first 24 weeks

Enjoy unlimited digital access
Enjoy Unlimited Digital Access
Get full access to
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24 weeks
var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){window.requestAnimationFrame(function() {var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))});}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1); // via darwin-bg var slideIndex = 0; carousel(); function carousel() { var i; var x = document.getElementsByClassName("subs_valueprop"); for (i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.display = "none"; } slideIndex++; if (slideIndex> x.length) { slideIndex = 1; } x[slideIndex - 1].style.display = "block"; setTimeout(carousel, 2500); }

A man accused of killing a woman and her five-year old daughter made a court appearance Wednesday just days after he was rushed to hospital following a suicide attempt.

Edward Downey, 48, sat quietly in the prisoner’s box as lawyers discussed a potential scheduling conflict.

“We adjourned our matter from Friday over to today to see how Mr. Downey was health-wise. He’s here, which is a good thing to see,” said Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Beth Hughes.

Story continues below advertisement

“That’s obviously very positive,” replied defence lawyer Gavin Wolch.

Downey has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the July 2016 deaths of Sara Baillie and Taliyah Marsman.

Baillie, who was 34, was found dead in her Calgary home after failing to show up for work. Her daughter was missing and an Amber Alert was issued. The girl’s body was found a week later in a rural area.

Downey was hospitalized on Friday after paramedics were called to the Calgary Remand Centre and found a man in what was described as a “serious and potentially life-threatening condition.”

Wolch said outside court that he believed his client was only in hospital for a couple of days and would be heading back to remand.

Wolch has expressed concern to the court that another trial he is involved in will go longer than expected and could end perilously close to the beginning of pre-trial motions Oct. 15 for Downey’s trial in November.

“I’m anxious to a point but he’s obviously waiting for his trial,” said Wolch.

Story continues below advertisement

Hughes said she expected the earlier trial would end as scheduled.

“As far as I’m concerned there is no basis for adjourning anything, so Mr. Downey should expect that his matter will proceed on the date that it is currently set,” she said.

The family of Baillie and her daughter has already raised concerns the case could be jeopardized by court delays.

In April, relative Scott Hamilton pointed out the trial would be starting 29 months after charges were laid – one month shy of a time limit set by the Supreme Court.

A three-week trial before a judge and jury is to begin Nov. 26.

Wolch told court he would be willing to have his client tried before a judge without a jury, but he said outside court that decision is out of his hands.

Story continues below advertisement

“We said we’re open to it. We’d like it, and we’ve done that before, but the Crown has to agree.”

Police say Downey was known to both victims. He has been in custody since his arrest.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies