Skip to main content

Quebec Premier François Legault announces a plan to create more labour in the province in Quebec City on Nov. 30.Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press

The Quebec government says its $3.9-billion plan to address labour shortages will focus on creating 170,000 jobs in six sectors it has identified as priorities.

Premier Francois Legault made the announcement today in Quebec City.

The $3.9-billion investment was made public in last week’s economic update.

Legault says the money will go toward bursaries and work-study programs, with the goal of attracting students to earn degrees in sectors of the economy targeted by the government.

Those sectors include health care, education, child care, information technology and construction.

Legault says the government will do more to encourage immigrants to move outside Montreal in order to fill jobs in Quebec’s other regions.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.