Skip to main content

Six people have been taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning due to a gas leak at a business complex in Pitt Meadows, British Columbia.

Fire Chief Mike Larsson says firefighters responded Tuesday to reports of people feeling unwell at Beacon Square around 3:30 p.m.

Carbon monoxide detectors immediately showed high levels of the colourless and odourless gas and they evacuated the five businesses.

Story continues below advertisement

Larsson says FortisBC quickly identified a leak in the building’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning system and shut off the gas.

He says he expects the individuals who went to hospital to make full recoveries, as they were all conscious and able to talk when first responders arrived.

Larsson also urged anyone with gas appliances in their home or business – including furnaces, hot water tanks and fire places – to install carbon monoxide detectors.

“CO is odourless and it’s known as a silent killer so early detection can save lives,” he says.

We have a weekly Western Canada newsletter written by our B.C. and Alberta bureau chiefs, providing a comprehensive package of the news you need to know about the region and its place in the issues facing Canada. Sign up today.

Related topics

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter
To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies