Skip to main content
The Globe and Mail
Get full access to
Support quality journalism
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24weeks
Just $1.99 per week for the first 24weeks
The Globe and Mail
Support quality journalism
Get full access to
Globe and Mail website displayed on various devices
per week
for the first 24weeks

var select={root:".js-sub-pencil",control:".js-sub-pencil-control",open:"o-sub-pencil--open",closed:"o-sub-pencil--closed"},dom={},allowExpand=!0;function pencilInit(o){var e=arguments.length>1&&void 0!==arguments[1]&&arguments[1];select.root=o,dom.root=document.querySelector(select.root),dom.root&&(dom.control=document.querySelector(select.control),dom.control.addEventListener("click",onToggleClicked),setPanelState(e),window.addEventListener("scroll",onWindowScroll),dom.root.removeAttribute("hidden"))}function isPanelOpen(){return dom.root.classList.contains(}function setPanelState(o){dom.root.classList[o?"add":"remove"](,dom.root.classList[o?"remove":"add"](select.closed),dom.control.setAttribute("aria-expanded",o)}function onToggleClicked(){var l=!isPanelOpen();setPanelState(l)}function onWindowScroll(){console.log("scroll");var l=isPanelOpen(),n=0===(document.body.scrollTop||document.documentElement.scrollTop);n||l||!allowExpand?n&&l&&(allowExpand=!0,setPanelState(!1)):(allowExpand=!1,setPanelState(!0))}pencilInit(".js-sub-pencil",!1);

A twin-engine plane sits in an area taped-off by police on 36th Street N.E. in Calgary, on April 25, 2018.

Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian Press

Jamal Hammoud woke up about 5:45 a.m. on Wednesday to get a drink of water when he saw the flashing lights of fire trucks outside his window.

At first he thought there was trouble with the light-rail train that runs along the busy boulevard right by his northeast Calgary home.

But when he went out to see what was going on, he was surprised to see a plane, intact aside from a damaged wing, parked on 36th Street N.E.

Story continues below advertisement

“It’s something that you see in movies, not in real life,” he said.

Police say the twin-engine plane was coming in from the south, heading for a landing at the Calgary airport, when a pilot radioed in that the aircraft was low on fuel.

Sgt. Duane Lepchuk said the aircraft came down on a two-lane stretch of road about five kilometres south of the airport and not far from the Trans-Canada Highway.

There were no injuries among the four passengers and two crew members on the Piper Navajo.

Lepchuk said there was minimal traffic on the street at the time and no reports of drivers having to swerve to miss the plane.

Hammoud said he woke up his wife.

“I joked with her saying, ‘Get up, I got you an airplane. We’re going for a vacation.“’ When she looked at him quizzically and asked what he was talking about, he told her to look out their bedroom window.

Story continues below advertisement

Then, he woke up his sons, who are 10 and six.

“I said, ‘Hurry up kids. I’m flying you guys to school today.“’ Hammoud said security footage from his home captured the plane passing right over a car.

By early afternoon, the plane was still there and the scene was abuzz with investigators and passersby snapping photos, he said.

Jason Hollyoak told CTV Calgary that he saw the plane make an incredible landing.

“I would say he was just trying to keep it underneath all the light poles and street lights and everything. He had to have flown over probably two or three cars,” Hollyoak said.

Super T Aviation of Medicine Hat, Alta., said in a statement that the plane was forced to land “due to a loss of power of unknown cause.”

Story continues below advertisement

Super T’s owner, Terri Super, was heading to Calgary to help the Transportation Safety Board with its investigation.

“Ms. Super acknowledges the actions of the pilots to ensure a safe landing and is grateful that there were no injuries to those on board or on the ground,” said the statement.

Merle Johnson, CEO of Calgary-based Connacher Oil and Gas Limited, said the four passengers are his employees who were heading to the Fort McMurray area to work.

He said following the emergency landing he decided to send them home to Medicine Hat.

“They will not be returning to work this week,” Johnson said. “Our main focus is on their safety and we are very grateful that there were no physical injuries sustained to the passengers or the crew.”

Marge Wawryn, who lives five houses in from 36th Street, said she did not expect her neighbourhood to be filled with fire trucks and news vans first thing in the morning.

Story continues below advertisement

She said the plane’s wing seems to have clipped a pole and that she’s glad more serious damage wasn’t done.

“Heavenly days. That plane could just have easily landed on top of our house and we wouldn’t have a roof left.”

With file from CHAT in Medicine Hat

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies