Skip to main content

Canada SNC-Lavalin faces possible new criminal charges over Montreal bridge contract, documents reveal

Quebec prosecutors are working with the RCMP on the possibility of new criminal charges against SNC-Lavalin tied to a contract to refurbish Montreal’s Jacques Cartier Bridge, court documents show.

In December, Quebec court approved a request by prosecutors to retain until June thousands of documents seized by the RCMP in connection with an investigation that drew on more than two dozen witnesses.

If the provincial prosecution service pushes ahead with the four potential fraud charges outlined in court filings, the embattled engineering giant would face a legal battle on another front beyond the current controversy enveloping Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: Wilson-Raybould’s resignation prompts Trudeau to say she failed in duty to voice SNC concerns

Timeline: A chronicle of SNC-Lavalin, Trudeau, the PMO and Jody Wilson-Raybould

Read more: Wilson-Raybould retains former Supreme Court justice to advise her on what she can tell public

Explainer: SNC-Lavalin, Jody Wilson-Raybould and Trudeau’s PMO – the story so far

In court documents, the RCMP lays out a bribery scheme involving a $127-million Jacques Cartier Bridge contract in the early 2000s. Former federal official Michel Fournier pleaded guilty in 2017 to accepting more than $2.3-million in payments from SNC-Lavalin in connection with the project.

Following his arrest, RCMP officers seized more than 3,200 documents between August, 2017, and October, 2018, under an investigation dubbed Project Staple 2, according to a December court filing from Crown prosecutor Patrice Peltier-Rivest.

A search warrant – requested by RCMP officer Guy-Michel Nkili and granted by a Quebec court judge in Montreal last March 19 – states “there are reasonable grounds to believe that an offence under the Criminal Code” took place. It describes SNC-Lavalin’s possible offences as “four counts of fraud on the government.”

Story continues below advertisement

A statement from Nkili attached to the warrant application alleges: “Between 2001 and 2003, more than $2.2 million in bribes were paid to Swiss accounts controlled by Michel Fournier and his spouse, Judith Barkley Fournier, by SNC-Lavalin Inc., through the company Promotag.” Fournier is the former head of the Federal Bridge Corp. and of Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Inc.

SNC-Lavalin told The Canadian Press it will continue to work with authorities, noting the court files involve employees and third parties no longer affiliated with the company. Allegations in the latest court documents have not been proven in court, and SNC-Lavalin has not been charged in connection with them.

Jennifer Quaid, a criminal law professor at the University of Ottawa, said the latest RCMP investigation may have nudged federal prosecutors in the Libya case away from an agreement – under which the Crown wraps a criminal case by setting aside charges in return for fines and other penalties.

“That would seem logical if you have another corruption problem,” Quaid said in a phone interview. “It is perfectly legitimate for prosecutors to ask what perception of justice will be given to the public.” But she also pointed out the latest investigation involves incidents from years before SNC-Lavalin overhauled its management.

News of the latest investigation came as federal Veterans Affairs Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould quit cabinet Tuesday. Her resignation followed a Globe and Mail report that the Prime Minister’s Office pressured her to help SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution when she was justice minister.

The company’s shares have plunged three times in the past four months: in October, after federal prosecutors closed the door on a compensation agreement; in January, after chief executive Neil Bruce said ongoing diplomatic tensions between Canada and Saudi Arabia were hurting business; and on Monday, when a second revision to its profit forecast pushed shares to a 10-year low.

Story continues below advertisement

The company has struggled to move out from under the shadow of past scandals, despite a leadership overhaul, a major marketing effort and “fundamental changes” in its culture and governance that Bruce highlighted in a full-page newspaper advertisement last fall.

In February, 2015, the company and two of its subsidiaries were charged with paying nearly $48-million to public officials in Libya between 2001 and 2011 to influence government decisions.

The RCMP has also charged the company, its construction division and a subsidiary with one charge each of fraud and corruption for allegedly defrauding various Libyan organizations of roughly $130-million. If found guilty, it could be barred from bidding on federal contracts for a decade.

A former CEO, Pierre Duhaime, is serving 20 months of house arrest after pleading guilty Feb. 1 to a single charge in connection with a bribery scandal around the construction of a $1.3-billion Montreal hospital.

Yanai Elbaz, a former McGill University Health Centre senior manager, pleaded guilty in December to accepting a bribe and was sentenced to 39 months in prison. Former SNC-Lavalin executive Riadh Ben Aissa pleaded guilty to a charge of using forged documents last July and was sentenced to 51 months in prison.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

Cannabis pro newsletter