Skip to main content

Nunavut RCMP say they believe carbon monoxide from a generator killed three family members found dead in a cabin over the weekend.

Mounties say a person told them Sunday that two adults had died in the cabin a few kilometres from the community of Arviat, which is located on the shore of Hudson Bay.

Officers at the scene later located a man, a woman and a teenage boy – all family members.

Police say they believe the three suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning due to the placement and exhaust configuration of a fuel-powered generator close to the cabin’s entrance.

They also say evidence points to the deaths being accidental.

RCMP say autopsies have been ordered.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.