Skip to main content

Two young cousins have died after police say they were overcome by carbon monoxide gas at a home in northern Saskatchewan.

RCMP say emergency medical crews found the 12-year-boy and 13-year-old girl dead Tuesday afternoon when they arrived at a residence in a recreational community in the Prince Albert area.

The pair, who relatives say were also best friends, were visiting with family members at the time.

Story continues below advertisement

A GoFundMe account created by friend Jan Goy says the tragedy started out as a fun evening in a loft at the lake.

Goy says funds raised would help the families with funeral costs.

She adds the parents are also in jobs that don’t have benefits or paid leave.

“Any help would be appreciated,” said Goy. “It’s been a pretty devastating week.”

Police said no one else at the residence needed treatment for the effects of the colourless and odourless gas.

The Saskatchewan Coroner’s Service is investigating, but police said the deaths are not considered suspicious.

The cousins died the same day 46 people at a Winnipeg hotel were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials said insufficient ventilation caused a buildup of the gas in the building.

Story continues below advertisement

All 46 were discharged from various hospitals within 24 hours.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Report an error
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Cannabis pro newsletter