Skip to main content

Canada Family of five airlifted to hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in B.C.

A family of five has been airlifted to hospital in serious condition after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in Barriere, B.C.

Shannon Miller, communications officer with B.C. Emergency Health Services, said a quick acting 911 caller was able to get everyone out of the home Thursday morning, even though two of the family members were unconscious.

“Our paramedics were there within 10 minutes. When our carbon detectors went into the house there were high levels of carbon monoxide,” she said.

Story continues below advertisement

The two people in the most serious condition were airlifted and the other three were transported by ground to nearby Kamloops. All five were then taken by air ambulance to Vancouver in serious but stable condition.

In a separate incident in Vancouver on Wednesday, 13 people were taken to hospital and Miller says at least three other cases occurred last week in the Lower Mainland.

Paramedics responded to seven carbon monoxide poisonings in November and they see about 100 cases each year, Miller said.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colourless gas that is created by burning fuels, such as oil, wood, gas and propane. It may be released in homes by sources like furnaces and boilers that malfunction or are not installed properly, Health Canada says on its website.

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms at low levels and lead to death in extreme cases, it says.

Report an error
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • All comments will be reviewed by one or more moderators before being posted to the site. This should only take a few moments.
  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed. Commenters who repeatedly violate community guidelines may be suspended, causing them to temporarily lose their ability to engage with comments.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Cannabis pro newsletter