Skip to main content

Canada Thirteen people taken to hospital, treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Vancouver

Officials say 13 people were taken to hospital — two of them in critical condition — after carbon monoxide was detected when paramedics responded to a call on Wednesday at an office building in Vancouver.

Emergency Health Services says on Twitter that paramedics were responding to a call about a patient who had collapsed.

It says paramedics wear carbon monoxide monitors and when they arrived the devices immediately detected the gas, which is colourless and odorless.

Story continues below advertisement

The agency says a total of 13 patients were treated for poisoning and transported to hospital.

No other details were released by Emergency Health Services but FortisBC spokesman Scott Neufeld says the energy company was called to an office building at about 10 a.m.

He says the company’s technician detected a problem with the boiler.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is burned and can cause health problems or death when inhaled.

Report an error
Comments

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff. Non-subscribers can read and sort comments but will not be able to engage with them in any way. Click here to subscribe.

If you would like to write a letter to the editor, please forward it to letters@globeandmail.com. Readers can also interact with The Globe on Facebook and Twitter .

Welcome to The Globe and Mail’s comment community. This is a space where subscribers can engage with each other and Globe staff.

We aim to create a safe and valuable space for discussion and debate. That means:

  • All comments will be reviewed by one or more moderators before being posted to the site. This should only take a few moments.
  • Treat others as you wish to be treated
  • Criticize ideas, not people
  • Stay on topic
  • Avoid the use of toxic and offensive language
  • Flag bad behaviour

Comments that violate our community guidelines will be removed. Commenters who repeatedly violate community guidelines may be suspended, causing them to temporarily lose their ability to engage with comments.

Read our community guidelines here

Discussion loading ...

Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to feedback@globeandmail.com. If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to letters@globeandmail.com.
Cannabis pro newsletter