Skip to main content
Canada’s most-awarded newsroom for a reason
Enjoy unlimited digital access
per week
for 24 weeks
Canada’s most-awarded newsroom for a reason
per week
for 24 weeks
// //

Constable Nathan Parker, right, was shot nine times by a sergeant when an altercation broke out during an investigation. Parker is charged with assault.

Molly Hayes/The Globe and Mail

A Niagara Regional Police sergeant says he feared for his life when he fired 10 shots at a fellow officer on a rural Ontario road three years ago.

The confrontation that afternoon had started out as a verbal dispute over a bathroom break. But before Detective Sergeant Martin Shane Donovan knew it, there was shoving and punching, and then suddenly he and Constable Nathan Parker had their guns drawn.

“It was either me or him,” an emotional Det. Sgt. Donovan told a Hamilton courtroom Tuesday, on the first day of a trial – not against him, but against Constable Parker.

Story continues below advertisement

The 55-year-old constable, who was suspended with pay from the police force upon his arrest, is accused of assaulting a peace officer, assaulting with intent to resist arrest, and assault with a weapon.

Det. Sgt. Donovan was also initially charged, with attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. But those charges were withdrawn in 2019 by the Crown, which cited no reasonable prospect of conviction.

Det. Sgt. Donovan is the first witness to be called at his colleague’s judge-alone trial, which is being held before Justice Anthony Leitch of the Ontario Court of Justice in Hamilton, an hour’s drive from the region that both witness and defendant were responsible for policing.

From the witness stand, Det. Sgt. Donovan testified that he’d never once drawn his firearm on anyone before this unexpected escalation of violence on Nov. 29, 2018.

The 22-year veteran of the police force was in charge of the collision reconstruction unit at that time, and had that morning requested the assistance of a uniformed officer to help block off a rural road in Pelham, Ont., where his investigators were gathering evidence in connection with a crash that had taken place two weeks earlier.

Constable Parker was given the assignment. He took one end of the road, and Det. Sgt. Donovan took the other.

At some point, court heard, Constable Parker left his post. When he returned, he told the sergeant (in an exchange through the passenger side window of his cruiser) that he’d had to go to the restroom.

Story continues below advertisement

When Det. Sgt. Donovan told him not to do it again – that if he needed to leave, to let him know so that he could get someone to cover him – the constable snapped at him, “loudly and aggressively” for not having his radio.

“You’re talking to a sergeant,” Det. Sgt. Donovan reminded him.

Constable Parker got out, and as the two men came face to face at the foot of the cruiser, the detective sergeant braced for yelling. Instead, the constable shoved him.

“You’re under arrest for assault,” Det. Sgt. Donovan recalled telling him, after stumbling backward on the grassy roadside.

But the constable “just kept coming” at him, throwing “haymaker” punches at his head. Det. Sgt. Donovan blocked the hits, and threw his hands up in surrender.

“I want it to end,” he said. “It’s gone way too far already.”

Story continues below advertisement

But as he headed toward his SUV, he said Constable Parker followed, throwing another punch.

This time, Det. Sgt. Donovan returned with one of his own.

He recalled watching as Constable Parker then pulled out and extended his baton. Aware of the damage that weapon could do if it hit him in the head, he drew his gun and pointed it.

“Oh, you want to do this?” he recalled Constable Parker saying, before dropping the baton and pulling his own pistol from his holster.

At that point, Det. Sgt. Donovan told assistant Crown attorney Jeremy Tatum – his voice cracking on the stand – he feared for his life.

So he fired, first at his centre mass, and then lower on the body when that didn’t seem to be stopping him.

Story continues below advertisement

Ten shots later, Constable Parker dropped his gun and fell to the ground.

Det. Sgt. Donovan said he kicked the gun out of reach, and then picked it up and put it in his SUV. He then grabbed his radio to call for an ambulance.

Det. Sgt. Donovan will continue his testimony Wednesday.

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Your Globe

Build your personal news feed

  1. Follow topics and authors relevant to your reading interests.
  2. Check your Following feed daily, and never miss an article. Access your Following feed from your account menu at the top right corner of every page.

Follow the author of this article:

Follow topics related to this article:

View more suggestions in Following Read more about following topics and authors
Report an error Editorial code of conduct
Due to technical reasons, we have temporarily removed commenting from our articles. We hope to have this fixed soon. Thank you for your patience. If you are looking to give feedback on our new site, please send it along to If you want to write a letter to the editor, please forward to
Comments are closed

We have closed comments on this story for legal reasons or for abuse. For more information on our commenting policies and how our community-based moderation works, please read our Community Guidelines and our Terms and Conditions.

To view this site properly, enable cookies in your browser. Read our privacy policy to learn more.
How to enable cookies