When shopping for a vehicle, many car buyers often include resale value in the decision matrix. However, not all vehicles are equal in this regard.
Each year, after tracking and comparing vehicle depreciation across all models, Canadian Black Book determines the winners of its Best Retained Value Awards.
“If you are the owner of one of these award winners…. you could be in a better position when it comes time to get into a new vehicle,” says Brian Murphy, Canadian Black Book’s vice president of research and editorial.
As an example, consider two similar vehicles that are purchased for the same price, driven over an identical distance over the same period of time, and kept in comparable condition. One of those vehicles will retain a higher percentage of its original purchase price than the other (i.e., has a higher resale value). The vehicle with the higher resale value would give you a better trade-in credit when it comes time to look for your next car. The challenge is in predicting which cars will have the best resale values and lowest depreciation though.
Canadian Black Book has a handy Future Value Tool that provides an estimate of how quickly any new vehicle model will depreciate in value. We’ve also featured some of our favourite offers this week chosen exclusively from Canadian Black Book’s list of 2018 Best Retained Value award winners. If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the new Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Sahara
The modern-day Wrangler inherits its distinctive features, such as its seven-slot grille and circular headlights, from the Second World War-era Willys MB military vehicle. This never-out-of-fashion styling helped contribute to the Wrangler’s eighth consecutive Best Retained Value award. In fact, the 2014 Jeep Wrangler has smashed the all-time retained value record, by holding 91 per cent of its original MSRP even by 2018.
The 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited comes standard with a 3.6-litre, V-6 Pentastar engine that delivers 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque. The Sahara trim is equipped with a 6.5-inch infotainment system with navigation, a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, its iconic grille flanked by automatic headlights, and a detachable hard-top roof. Perhaps its most unique feature is its wash-out interior with removable carpets and drain plugs, which allows it to be thoroughly cleaned after an off-road drive.
- MSRP: $41,095
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000 (as compared to no incentive in May)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,035
- Cash purchase price before tax: $40,130
- Finance for 60 months at 2.99-per-cent interest for $815 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to no incentive in May) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 6.09-per-cent interest for $550 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to no incentive in May) and assumes a 24,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
2018 Toyota Avalon Touring
Toyota scored top marks in the Car and Truck/Crossover/SUV categories as the brand with the best retained value. Overall, fourteen of the automaker’s vehicles placed in the top three in their respective categories. The Toyota Avalon topped the Full-size Car segment.
The Avalon will be redesigned for the 2019 model year, but great incentives are available on remaining 2018 inventory. The 2018 Toyota Avalon is equipped with a 2.5-litre V-6 engine that produces 268 horsepower and 248 lb.-ft. of torque. The Touring trim features a seven-inch infotainment system with navigation and advanced voice recognition, a nine-speaker audio system, a rearview camera and automatic LED headlamps. As well, Toyota’s Safety Sense suite of active safety technology comes standard on all trims and includes a precollision system with pedestrian detection, dynamic radar cruise control and lane-departure alert with steering assist.
- MSRP: $40,550
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $4,000 (applied after tax)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,885
- Cash purchase price before tax: $37,895
- Finance for 60 months at 1.99-per-cent interest for $820 per month including tax and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.99-per-cent interest for $620 per month including tax and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
2018 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4MATIC
Seven of Mercedes-Benz’s models placed in the top three across a total of six categories. The 2018 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 claimed the top spot in the Entry Luxury Car segment. It is powered by a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged engine that delivers 208 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque available with Mercedes-Benz’s 4MATIC all-wheel drive powertrain. Notable features on this luxury compact include a seven-inch infotainment system, an available Harman Kardon Logic 7 sound system, Bluetooth connectivity, HD radio, a rearview camera, active brake assist, adaptive braking technology, rain-sensing wipers and a heated windshield washer system.
- MSRP: $37,900
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $1,500 (as compared to $1,000 in April)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,810
- Cash purchase price before tax: $38,210
- Finance for 60 months at 0.9-per-cent interest for $736 per month including tax, which includes a $1,500 manufacturer incentive (as compared to $1,000 in April) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 45 months at 1.9-per-cent interest for $580 per month including tax, which includes a $1,500 manufacturer incentive (as compared to $1,000 in April) and assumes a 24,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4 LT
This year also marks the first showing in the Best Retained Value Awards for the Chevrolet Corvette which won in the Premium Sports Car category. The auto maker also dominated in the Full-size Crossover/SUV category with its Tahoe and Suburban models in first and third place respectively.
The 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe outputs 355 horsepower and 383 lb.-ft. of torque through a 5.3-litre, V-8 engine, available with a four-wheel drive powertrain. Interior highlights on the LT trim include an eight-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, a nine-speaker premium Bose audio system, a rear Blu-ray/DVD entertainment system with a nine-inch display, tri-zone automatic climate control and remote engine ignition. Standard safety features on this trim include rain-sensing wipers, forward collision alert, lane-keep assist and low-speed forward automatic braking.
- MSRP: $65,900
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $1,000
- GM Bonus Tag Event rebate: $1,500 (applied after tax)
- Estimated dealer discount: $2,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,594
- Cash purchase price before tax: $64,167
- Finance for 60 months at 1.99-per-cent interest for $1,280 per month including tax, which includes a $500 manufacturer incentive, a $1,500 after-tax GM Bonus Tag Event rebate, and assumes zero down payment
- · Lease for 48 months at 2.9-per-cent interest for $958 per month including tax, which includes a $750 manufacturer incentive, a $1,500 after-tax GM Bonus Tag Event rebate, and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.