Suburban families relied on wagons as the haulers of choice long before SUVs and minivans took over that mantle. While their popularity in North America waned throughout the last two decades, wagons continue to be an extremely popular choice for drivers in Europe. In fact, the continent accounted for over 70 per cent of all wagons sold in recent years. Most European brands still produce wagon models, whether they are mass-market brands such as Volkswagen or luxury brands such as Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche.
SUV-loving North American drivers are now seeing wagons, which have done away with the woodgrain exterior trim they once commonly sported, in a new light because of the benefits they provide. Just as in SUVs and minivans, the passenger and cargo spaces in wagons are combined into a single large cabin, generally resulting in more cargo space than comparable sedans. They also often feature foldable rear seats that further expand the space available for cargo.
Automakers are blurring the line between passenger cars and SUVs by manufacturing many wagon models with all-wheel drive and raised bodies, making this the perfect vehicle type for those seeking SUV-like versatility with a sportier driving experience. We’ve featured some of our favourite offers this week on sport wagons. If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
Volvo V90 Cross Country
Volvo’s V90 Cross Countryis the more rugged, raised-height version of the V90 wagon. Its extra ground clearance, along with an all-wheel drivetrain, provides improved all-road and all-weather capabilities. The 2019 Volvo V90 Cross Country generates 316 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque through a Volvo T6 engine. Interior highlights on the V90 Cross Country include textured leather upholstery, a 224-watt, ten-speaker audio system, black walnut interior trim, a panoramic sunroof and a Clean Zone air-quality system that shuts the cabin’s air intakes if harmful substances are detected. Other standard features include the Pilot Assist driver assistance system, adaptive cruise control, emergency brake assist, high-pressure headlight washers and rain-sensing windshield wipers.
2019 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $62,500
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,155
- Cash purchase price before tax: $61,155
- Finance for 60 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $1,239 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $914 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Audi A4 Allroad
The wagon variant of Audi’s popular A4 sedan, the 2019 Audi A4 Allroad is equipped with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine with direct injection and is capable of outputting up to 248-horsepower and 273 lb.-ft. of torque. Its interior features a freestanding multimedia display with built-in navigation, a digital driver-information display in the instrument cluster, a tinted panoramic sunroof, leather seating surfaces, tri-zone automatic climate control, an electro-mechanical parking brake and a heated and leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel. Standard safety equipment includes LED headlights with high-beam assist, LED taillights, ceramic front brakes and Audi pre sense basic, which engages the automatic belt-tensioner and triggers anticipatory passenger-protection measures upon detecting a high probability of collision.
2019 Audi A4 Allroad 2.0 TFSI Quattro Progressiv S tronic
- MSRP: $53,600
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $1,000 (as compared to no incentive in February)
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,830
- Cash purchase price before tax: $54,930
- Finance for 60 months at 2.98 per cent interest for $1,115 per month including tax, which includes a $1,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to 3.9 per cent interest and no incentive in February) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 3.98 per cent interest for $850 per month including tax, which includes a $1,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to 4.9 per cent interest and no incentive in February) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
The Subaru Outback is the wagon variant of the Legacy sedan. The 2019 Outback can be purchased with a standard 2.5-litre, four-cylinder Boxer engine or a larger 3.6-litre, six-cylinder Boxer engine. When equipped with the latter, this wagon produces 256 horsepower and 247 lb.-ft. of torque. Standard features on the 3.6R Premier trim include an eight-inch touchscreen display with navigation, a 576-watt, 12-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, chrome- and woodgrain-accented interior trim, heated leather seats, steering-responsive LED headlights and windshield-wiper-deicing capability. The 3.6R Premier trim also comes standard with the EyeSight suite of active safety technology, such as precollision braking, adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist and lead-vehicle-start alert.
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premier with EyeSight
- MSRP: $42,295
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000 (as compared to $1,500 in March)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,940
- Cash purchase price before tax: $40,735
- Finance for 60 months at 1.49 per cent interest for $826 per month including tax, which includes a $500 manufacturer incentive (as compared to no incentive in March) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.49 per cent interest for $599 per month including tax, which includes a $500 manufacturer incentive (as compared to no incentive in March) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Mercedes-Benz C-Class Wagon
Mercedes-Benz’s C-Class product line, which is made up of a sedan and a wagon variant, is its most popular in Canada by far. The C 300 wagon is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-litre, four-cylinder engine and outputs 255 horsepower and 273 lb.-ft. of torque. Notable features on this luxury wagon include a seven-inch freestanding multimedia display, keyless push-button engine ignition, dual-zone automatic climate control, high-performance LED headlights, rain-sensing windshield wipers, radar-based active brake-assist and cross-wind assist, which uses sensors and braking to stabilize the vehicle when affected by wind turbulence.
2019 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4MATIC Wagon
- MSRP: $47,400
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $1,000
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,810
- Cash purchase price before tax: $48,210
- Finance for 60 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $976 per month including tax, which includes a $1,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 45 months at 3.9 per cent interest for $796 per month including tax and assumes a 24,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.
Stay on top of all our Drive stories. We have a Drive newsletter covering car reviews, innovative new cars and the ups and downs of everyday driving. Sign up for the weekly Drive newsletter, delivered to your inbox for free. Follow us on Instagram, @globedrive.