Automakers invest heavily in research and development in order to continually advance their product offerings.
Autonomous emergency braking, 360-degree cameras, foot-activated power lift-gates, gesture- and voice-control for multimedia systems and fully-electric drivetrains are just a handful of examples of the cutting-edge technology becoming commonplace in vehicles today.
The outside is just as important as the inside, though – consumers value aesthetic as much as features and performance. We’ve featured some of our favourite offers this week on vehicles slated to be redesigned for the 2020 model year. Attractive deals can be found on current-generation models.
If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
Known for its distinctive body style, the Kia Soul will be entering its third generation in the 2020 model year. Although its exterior will retain a boxy shape, it will feature radically refreshed elements such as a large tiger nose grille, slim-design daytime running lights, repositioned headlights and wrap-around boomerang-shaped taillights. Its interior highlights will include available wireless cellphone-charging capability and available dual-zone climate-control.
In the meantime, the 2019 Kia Soul generates 161 horsepower and 149 lb.-ft. of torque through a 2.0-litre engine with gasoline direct injection. Interior highlights on the EX+ trim include a seven-inch infotainment system, a six-speaker audio system, a heated multi-function steering wheel, heated front seats and a rearview camera. Its exterior features automatic projection headlights, sideview mirror-integrated LED signal repeaters as well as LED taillights and daytime running lights.
2019 Kia Soul 2.0 EX+ Automatic
- MSRP: $23,495
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $3,000 (as compared to $2,500 in February)
- Estimated dealer discount: $250
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,925
- Cash purchase price before tax: $22,170
- Finance for 60 months at 0.99 per cent interest for $467 per month including tax, which includes a $1,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to no incentive in February) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.99 per cent interest for $361 per month including tax, which includes a $1,000 manufacturer incentive (as compared to no incentive in February) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Although the appearance of the 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC is only mildly refreshed, the bulk of its upgrades are focused on its technology and under the hood. The 2020 model will be powered by a new 255-horsepower turbocharged 2.0-litre engine – a 14-horsepower improvement over the current model – that Mercedes-Benz also claims will be more fuel-efficient. Its infotainment system will also features multiple methods for interaction, including touchscreen, touchpad, gesture control and voice command. In addition to a widescreen 10.25-inch freestanding multimedia display, drivers will be able to also opt for a 12.3-inch customizable all-digital instrument cluster.
Meanwhile, the 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 comes standard with a 241-horsepower, 2.0-litre turbo engine, a 4MATIC all-wheel drivetrain and a nine-speed automatic transmission with manual mode. Key features include heated and power-adjustable front seats; dynamic select, which enables the driver to customize the vehicle’s driving dynamics as per their preference; cross-wind assist, which uses sensors and braking to stabilize the vehicle when affected by wind turbulence; and attention assist, which alerts the driver with visual and audible warnings upon detecting signs of driver fatigue.
2019 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 4MATIC
- MSRP: $47,300
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,810
- Cash purchase price before tax: $46,610
- Finance for 60 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $944 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 45 months at 3.99 per cent interest for $744 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 24,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Toyota is slated to bring the sedan variant of the Corolla, one of the most popular vehicles in the world, into its twelfth generation in the 2020 model year, unifying its design cues with the twelfth-generation Corolla hatchback released last year. Like its hatchback sibling, the sedan’s exterior will feature redesigned J-shaped bi-LED headlights, a more prominent grille and a more aggressive stance than the outgoing model. Its sleek new interior boasts an eight-inch freestanding multimedia display on most trims and available wireless cellphone-charging. All trims will come standard with the next-generation of Toyota Safety Sense.
Meanwhile, the 2019 Toyota Corolla delivers up to 132 horsepower and 128 lb.-ft. of torque when equipped with a 1.8-litre, four-cylinder engine. Highlights on the CE trim include a 6.1-inch infotainment display with voice-recognition and Siri Eyes-Free capability, a six-speaker audio system, a rearview camera, automatic bi-LED headlights and solar energy-absorbing window glass. Every 2019 Corolla comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense, which includes a precollision system with pedestrian-detection, lane-departure alert, automatic high-beams and dynamic-radar cruise-control, and Star Safety System, which includes smart-stop technology, vehicle-stability control, traction control, brake-assist and electronic brake-force distribution.
2019 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE CVT
- MSRP: $20,375
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $500 (applied after tax)
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,785
- Cash purchase price before tax: $21,218
- Finance for 60 months at 1.99 per cent interest for $420 per month including tax, which includes a $500 manufacturer incentive (applied after tax) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 0.99 per cent interest for $307 per month including tax, which includes a $500 manufacturer incentive (applied after tax) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
The Passat, Volkswagen’s largest sedan in Canada, will be exchanging its tame, family-friendly appearance for a bolder, sportier look in the 2020 model year. Its new exterior will feature a coupe-like roofline, new grille and headlight designs, slim LED headlights and 17-inch alloy wheels. Every trim will come standard with forward-collision warning and autonomous emergency braking, pedestrian-monitoring, blind-spot monitor and rear traffic alert. The 2020 Passat also features a new torque converter that, combined with new software, will help boost torque output by 23 lb.-ft over the outgoing model.
Meanwhile, the 2019 Volkswagen Passat is equipped with a turbocharged 2.0-litre, four-cylinder engine that produces 174 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque. The Wolfburg Edition features a 6.3-inch infotainment display, a six-speaker Fender audio system, heated leather-clad seating, dual-zone automatic climate-control, automatic LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers, 19-inch aluminum wheels and a low-speed collision avoidance system.
2019 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TSI Wolfsburg Edition Tiptronic
- MSRP: $32,995
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,905
- Cash purchase price before tax: $32,400
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.
Stay on top of all our Drive stories. We have a Drive newsletter covering car reviews, innovative new cars and the ups and downs of everyday driving. Sign up for the weekly Drive newsletter, delivered to your inbox for free. Follow us on Instagram, @globedrive.