Earlier this month, J.D. Power and Associates published the results of its 2019 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS). This annual study ranks automotive brands based on longer-term dependability based on the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old model-year vehicles.
This year’s study revealed that vehicle-dependability continues to rise across the board, improving by 4 per cent year-over-year, from 142 problems per 100 vehicles in 2018 to 136 this year. That said, the proliferation of increasingly complex technology being featured in newer vehicles could pose a challenge to automakers who aim to keep up their reputation for dependability.
“Automakers are wrestling with problems such as voice recognition, transmission shifts and battery failures,” said Dave Sargent, Vice President of Global Automotive at J.D. Power. “Flawless dependability is a determining factor in whether customers remain loyal to a brand, so manufacturers need to help customers who are currently experiencing vehicle problems and address these trouble spots on future models.”
With a top score of 106 problems per 100 vehicles, Lexus remained the most dependable brand for the eighth consecutive year. Trailing the top spot by just 2 points, Lexus’ sister brand, Toyota, climbed from eighth position in 2018 to tie with Porsche in second place, also making it most dependable mass-market brand. GM’s Chevrolet and Buick rounded off the top five with scores of 115 and 118 problems per 100 vehicles respectively.
We’ve featured some of our favourite offers this week from brands ranked the most dependable by J.D. Power. If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
Lexus (106 PP100)
Not only did Lexus rank as the most dependable brand overall, its GX and ES models came in as the most dependable mid-size premium SUV and compact premium car respectively. The RX, Lexus’s most popular model, was also shortlisted for the most dependable mid-size premium SUV.
The 2019 Lexus RX 350 outputs 295 horsepower and 268 lb.-ft. of torque through a 3.5-litre V-6 Atkinson-cycle engine mated to an all-wheel drivetrain. Its key features include a 12-speaker Lexus premium audio system with a subwoofer; an eight-inch freestanding infotainment display; dual-zone climate control with dust, pollen and odour-filtering capability; heated front and rear seats; keyless push-button ignition; an integrated garage door opener; an electrically-heated windshield; rain-sensing wipers; automatic LED headlights with washers and LED fog lights. The 2019 RX 350 comes standard with Lexus Safety System+, which includes a precollision system, lane-departure alert, automatic high-beams and dynamic-radar cruise control.
2019 Lexus RX 350
- MSRP: $55,350
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000 (applied after tax, as compared to $1,000 in January)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,215
- Cash purchase price before tax: $54,295
- Finance for 60 months at 3.9 per cent interest for $1,127 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 after-tax manufacturer incentive (applied after tax, as compared to $1,000 in January) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $763 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 after-tax manufacturer incentive (applied after tax, as compared to $1,000 in January) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Toyota (108 PP100)
Owners of three-year-old Toyotas experienced 15 per cent fewer problems per 100 vehicles in 2019 as compared to last year. The Camry and Tundra were the top-ranked models in the mid-size car and large light-duty pickup categories, respectively.
The 2019 Toyota Tundra is powered by a 5.7-litre i-FORCE V-8 engine that produces 381 horsepower and 401 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Highlights of the 4x4 CrewMax SR5 trim include a nine-speaker audio system, a seven-inch infotainment display with available premium navigation, heated front seats, windshield-wiper-deicing capability and available LED headlights. All 2019 Tundra trims come standard with the Star Safety System, which includes smart-stop technology, vehicle-stability control, traction control, brake-assist and electronic brake-force distribution, as well as Toyota Safety Sense, which includes a precollision system with pedestrian detection, lane-departure alert, automatic high-beams and dynamic-radar cruise control.
2019 Toyota Tundra 4x4 CrewMax SR5 5.7
- MSRP: $46,000
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $2,000 (applied after tax, as compared to no incentive in December)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,000
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,955
- Cash purchase price before tax: $45,185
- Finance for 60 months at 2.99 per cent interest (as compared to 3.99 per cent in December) for $953 per month including tax and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.99 per cent interest (as compared to 3.99 per cent in December) for $693 per month including tax and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Chevrolet (115 PP100)
Chevrolet overtook Buick as the most dependable domestic brand. Along with the Equinox, which came in as the most dependable compact SUV, two other models, the Sonic and Silverado HD, were rated the most dependable in their respective categories.
When equipped with a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder turbo engine, the 2019 Chevrolet Equinox generates 170 horsepower and 203 lb-ft of torque. Notable features on the LT 1.5T trim include a seven-inch infotainment display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, active in-cabin-noise-cancellation capability, voice-activated radio and phone controls, remote ignition and climate control, engine start-stop functionality, active grille shutters and automatic HID headlights. All trims also come standard with teen-driver mode, which restricts certain vehicle functions, while also monitoring driving habits to encourage safe behaviour.
2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT 1.5T All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $31,300
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $450
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,035
- Cash purchase price before tax: $32,385
- Finance for 60 months at 0.99 per cent interest for $625 per month including tax, which includes a $450 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.5 per cent interest for $429 per month including tax, which includes a $1,950 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Buick (118 PP100)
Although Buick slipped two spots into fifth place in this year VDS, it snapped up two category awards. The Verano was ranked the most dependable compact car while the LaCrosse held onto its spot from last year as the most dependable large car.
The 2019 Buick LaCrosse Premium trim features a 310-horsepower, 3.6-litre V-6 engine married to a nine-speed automatic transmission. Standard equipment includes an eight-inch infotainment display, an eight-speaker audio system, heads-up display, wireless charging, remote engine ignition and climate control, active grille shutters and automatic adaptive HID headlights. The Premium trim also comes standard with a universal home remote that controls compatible garage doors, security systems and home-automation devices from inside the vehicle. Active safety features on this trim include forward-collision alert, lane-change alert with side blind-zone alert, rear park assist and rear cross-traffic alert.
2019 Buick LaCrosse Premium All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $48,245
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $900
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $1,890
- Cash purchase price before tax: $47,735
- Finance for 60 months at 0.99 per cent interest for $912 per month including tax, which includes a $1,400 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 0.5 per cent interest (as compared to 1.5 per cent in January) for $708 per month including tax, which includes a $1,650 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.
Stay on top of all our Drive stories. We have a Drive newsletter covering car reviews, innovative new cars and the ups and downs of everyday driving. Sign up for the weekly Drive newsletter, delivered to your inbox for free. Follow us on Instagram, @globedrive.