New vehicles sales in the first five months of 2019 declined by 4.5 per cent year-over-year. Passenger cars – which include sedans, wagons and hatchbacks – were once again largely responsible for this decline with sales dropping by 14 per cent over the same period compared to last year.
The vast majority of automakers are experiencing the effects of this phenomenon, even as some continue to see a positive trend on sales of their light truck models, which include SUVs and pickup trucks.
Of the 28 automakers who produce passenger cars in Canada and have a volume of at least 500 units, only seven experienced gains in the segment, five of which fall within the luxury category. Only three brands – Tesla, Genesis and Volvo – experienced double-digit growth in passenger car sales, jumping 240 per cent, 48 per cent and 33 per cent respectively.
This just goes to show that passenger cars in the luxury category still appeal to Canadian drivers. We’ve featured some of our favourite offers this week on sport sedans under $45,000. If you don’t find an offer that suits you, be sure to check out the Globe Drive Build and Price Tool to see the latest incentives and discounts on any new car, truck or SUV.
The G70 was the most recent model to join Genesis’ lineup available for purchase exclusively through Genesis at Home, an online service that enables customers to complete their end-to-end car-buying journey, from the initial test drive to the final paperwork, from anywhere and on any device. The purchased vehicle is then delivered in a giant glass box to your doorstep.
Depending on the trim, the 2020 Genesis G70 is equipped with either a 2.0-litre, 252-horsepower turbocharged engine or a 3.3-litre, 365-horsepower twin-turbo V-6 engine. The 2.0T Advanced trim comes standard with an eight-inch infotainment display, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility, a heated and leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, paddle shifters for manual mode, an electromechanical parking brake, a proximity-activated hands-free trunk and projector headlights with high-beam assist. Active safety technology on the 2.0T Advanced trim, such as a precollision system with pedestrian detection, lane-keeping assist and adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go capability.
2020 Genesis G70 2.0T Advanced All Wheel Drive
- Vehicle price: $42,000 (all-inclusive)
- Government fees: $131
- Cash purchase price before tax: $42,131
- Finance for 60 months at 2.4 per cent interest for $828 per month including tax and requires $1,000 down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 2.4 per cent interest for $600 per month including tax and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance and requires $1,000 down payment
- Includes complimentary scheduled maintenance and courtesy vehicle service for five years or 100,000 kilometres, and complimentary navigation map updates for five years
Most 2019 Infiniti Q50 trims are powered by a 3.0-litre, twin-turbo V-6 engine that outputs 300 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. All trims come standard with an intelligent all-wheel drivetrain. Key interior features include a dual-display infotainment system with navigation and voice recognition and intelligent key fobs that can each be programmed with individual climate, audio and driving preferences. Notable exterior features include automatic LED headlights and LED fog lights, remote engine-ignition and rain-sensing windshield wipers.
2019 Infiniti Q50 3.0T LUXE All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $44,995
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $4,500 (as compared to $4,000 in April)
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,235
- Cash purchase price before tax: $42,230
- Finance for 60 months at 1.99 per cent interest (as compared to 2.99 per cent in April) for $886 per month including tax, which includes a $2,000 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.99 per cent interest for $585 per month including tax, which includes a $1,500 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
The 2019 Audi A3 comes standard with a 2.0-litre turbocharged engine that produces 228 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque. Notable features on include a free-standing multimedia interface, leather-upholstered seating, an electromechanical parking brake, a panoramic glass roof, engine start-stop functionality, Xenon headlights with light and rain-sensing capability, LED taillights and all-weather lights that illuminate the area in front of the car significantly better than with fog lights. The Audi A3 also comes standard with pre-sense basic, which engages the automatic belt tensioner and triggers anticipatory protection measures for the passengers upon detecting a high probability of collision.
2019 Audi A3 2.0 45 TFSI Quattro Progressiv S tronic
- MSRP: $41,100
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $1,500
- Estimated dealer discount: $500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,830
- Cash purchase price before tax: $41,930
- Finance for 60 months at 1.48 per cent interest (as compared to 2.98 per cent in May) for $820 per month including tax, which includes a $1,500 manufacturer incentive and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.48 per cent interest (as compared to 2.48 per cent in May) for $596 per month including tax, which includes a $1,500 manufacturer incentive and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
The 2019 Lexus IS 300 All-Wheel Drive produces 260 horsepower and 236 lb.-ft. of torque through a 3.5-litre, V-6 engine. Its exterior equipment includes auto-levelling LED headlights, LED daytime running lights, rain-sensing wipers with deicing capability and water-repellent front-door glass. Its interior features a seven-inch infotainment display, a 10-speaker Lexus premium audio system, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front sport seats and a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel with paddle shifters. All IS trims come standard with Lexus’ Safety System+ suite of active safety technology, which includes a precollision system, automatic high-beams, dynamic-radar cruise control and lane-departure alert with steering assist.
2019 Lexus IS 300 All Wheel Drive
- MSRP: $43,550
- Manufacturer cash incentive: $3,500 (applied after tax, as compared to $2,500 in May)
- Estimated dealer discount: $1,500
- Freight, PDI, government fees: $2,215
- Cash purchase price before tax: $41,168
- Finance for 60 months at 2.9 per cent interest for $834 per month including tax, which includes a $3,500 after-tax manufacturer incentive (as compared to $2,500 in May) and assumes zero down payment
- Lease for 48 months at 1.9 per cent interest for $552 per month including tax, which includes a $3,500 after-tax manufacturer incentive (as compared to $2,500 in May) and assumes a 20,000 annual kilometre allowance with zero down payment
Manufacturer incentives and pricing calculations are based on Ontario customers and subject to availability of inventory. Dealer discounts shown are estimates for illustrative purposes only, may vary by region and are given at the discretion of individual dealers. Please note that while every effort is made to ensure the information above is accurate at the time of publication, pricing, incentives and discounts are subject to change or discontinuation at any time. Vehicle images may not represent the exact model featured in the pricing provided. Consult your local dealership for details.
Stay on top of all our Drive stories. We have a Drive newsletter covering car reviews, innovative new cars and the ups and downs of everyday driving. Sign up for the weekly Drive newsletter, delivered to your inbox for free. Follow us on Instagram, @globedrive.